2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'98 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:40 PM
sewerrat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 fuel pump

Newby here, Just bought myself a '98 1500, with 5.2, standard, 4x4. I bought this thing private, this poor truck had a rough life the body looks good and straight, the guy redid the front end, replaced clutch and transmission, now it is my turn to make her run better. I replaced the plugs, changed oil etc. but at times she sputters so I went to the dealer to get a fuel filter, they tell me it is in the tank and I have to buy the complete module wich is over$700.00(cnd) anyone know if there is a cheaper way to fix this, or have any of you replaced this thing it seems like a big expensive job.drain the tank, drop the tank etc.
Hope to hear from any of you.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:02 PM
pollocksn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '98 fuel pump

Well I just replace the whole unit about a 6months ago, it would spew gas out everytime I filled up. First dont go to the dealership they will just stick it in your but with the price and labor. I didnt feel like taking on this endeavor myself b/c of dropping the tank and everything. I went to my mechanic. I dont know the conversion from canadian to USA $ but he charged me aroud $600 for the unit and labor. I think the unit was $300-400. If you dont want to do it yourself call around and get some estimates from other shops. They shoud be a bit cheaper than the dealer. I dont know about how hard it is so maybe someone else will chim in but it took him a bit to get it done. Just my 2 cents, good luck

Quick Reply: '98 fuel pump