2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a little confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 PM
dodgeup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a little confused

ok maybe someone can explain this to me i have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 w/ 5.2 L and the 46re transmission about a month ago i started ahving troubles with my transmission it was real slow at take off almost like it was not in first gear or something and also i did not have reverse the truck would move itself in reverse but if i hit the gas it would just shake and you could hear the flywheel just spinning so i went out and bought everything i need to rebuild it i got it out of the truck and took it apart but found nothing wrong everything looked intact the gears are fine the bands look good now the last couple of days i was driving it i lost everything i had no forward gears at all but reverse was still the same as it was and when i put it in neutral i could drive like it was in first gear i am really confused either way i am going to buy a new transmission and put it in there but i am afraid that maybe some thing electrical is causing problems so here is my ? how many different electrical parts are there that are related to the transmission cause i do not wamnt to put a new tranny in there and then blow that one out as well help me please any advise will be greatly appreciated

Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional
Default RE: a little confused

I am no transmission expert but what about the torque converter? [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
dodgeup

well i am definetley no transmission expert but i just got a new transmission it will delivered around noon today so if it was the torque converter then my problems will be solved

Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 PM
hillbilly4u

Always replace torque converter with tranny change.Hope he did.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:59 PM
dodgeup

yeah torque converter came with the transmission so it will all be new

Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 AM
ramonarampage

theres sensors that monitor your rpm and speed and pedal pressure, check all those, the whole auto trans is controlled by them computer and the computer needs all that data to decide what gear to be in , if something ****ed with a sensor it would have no idea what to do, sort of like ainfant driving a manual

Old 04-01-2007, 11:45 AM
bigred1977

did you have a check engine light come on? mine did and the code said my lock up solonid circuit is bad. i hope its just the solonid and not the cpu. how was the reuild? it sounds like you have the same symptoms as me. check out the lock up solonid circuit

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ramonarampage

theres sensors that monitor your rpm and speed and pedal pressure, check all those, the whole auto trans is controlled by them computer and the computer needs all that data to decide what gear to be in , if something ****ed with a sensor it would have no idea what to do, sort of like ainfant driving a manual
The only inputs the PCM has to the 46RE is the 3-4 shift (OD) and TCC lock-up. Everything else is hydraulic/mechanical. Dodge didn't have a true PCM controlled tranny until the 45RFE.

Quick Reply: a little confused