2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP 4WD light on but not engaged

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
sdguyman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 4WD light on but not engaged

Hi everyone,

I have not see this as a problem but my 99 Ram 1500 the 4WD light comes on but the front axle is not engaged. I went below and noticed the front drive shaft is engaged but the the wheels dont spin.

Did something break in the CAD system?

Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Zachtk8702
Rookie
Default RE: HELP 4WD light on but not engaged

A buddy of mine had this same problem... I think he just had a vaccum line come loose though.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
zique
Captain

If your 4WD light is on, the CAD is most likely functioning properly. You may want to pull the CAD and look at the shift fork, collar, and splines on the intermediate shaft for damage. It takes about 5 min. and if you put the right tire up, you don't have to fuss with the lube or anything either. If everything checks out fine there, it may be your hubs.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:36 PM
k12allen
Professional

If the light comes on, that means the vacuum pulled the stem of the shift fork to the engaged position (switch activated by that stem being in the 4WD position). That should eliminate vacuum as a cause.

If the axles going to the universals at the wheels turn, then the front diff is engaged. If they don't, then the collar either didn't slide (bent fork?) or a set of splines are gone (collar,right stub axle from diff,or stub axleto rightwheel), or a pinion, ring or spider gear is gone. If the axles turn but the wheels don't, it could be a universal. Our trucks don't have locking hubs, so it's not likely a problem in the hubs.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 AM
sdguyman

Man I think I have bigger problems. So I engage the 4wd, light comes on and I put it in Park and turn off the engine. I jack up the front left wheel and turn the axle, the driveshaft turns. Does this mean my transfer case is in need of repair?

Another thing that has started to happen just recently, when I shift into 4wd while rolling the gears grind until I come to a complete stop. The grinding goes away when I then continue, I just thought the syncros were out of wack but do I need to get my tranfercase rebuilt?

What is another way of testing it?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sdguyman

Man I think I have bigger problems. So I engage the 4wd, light comes on and I put it in Park and turn off the engine. I jack up the front left wheel and turn the axle, the driveshaft turns. Does this mean my transfer case is in need of repair?

Another thing that has started to happen just recently, when I shift into 4wd while rolling the gears grind until I come to a complete stop. The grinding goes away when I then continue, I just thought the syncros were out of wack but do I need to get my tranfercase rebuilt?

What is another way of testing it?

If you had the truck in 4 wheel drive, with the dashlight illuminated,and only the front left wheel was off the ground, your front drive shaft should not be able to spin. It would be in "park" like the rear axle is. Even if all four wheels where off the ground, both drive shafts still would not spin. Only the tire opposite would spin, AND in the opposite direction. (unless you had lockers)

Hope that wasn't too confusing...LOL.

Sounds like a broken chain/gear, or maybe you twisted a shaft. If neither 4 hi, nor 4 low works except for the rears, then the front drive shaft is not being driven. The grinding you hear is perhaps the broken chain being ground up, or broken gear teeth jammin things up.

Hate not being positive but sounds like you have a prob somewhere.

Good luck with your ride.

Good luck with your ride

Quick Reply: HELP 4WD light on but not engaged