2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gutting my cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
rubemeyer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gutting my cat

i was looking to gut my cat today, cause its blocked up and causing problems. i talked with a friend of mine who said he took his out, cut the bottom off and pulled all the combs out and re welded the bottom. i cant quite figure out how to take my cat out without cuting and welding the pipes back together, which is more work than i wanted to do. i was hoping that someone out their who has gutted their cat could help give me some advise on a simple gutting proces. that and searching about gutted cats, some posts said that their check engine lights didnt come on after gutting it. is that cuase their O2 sensors just arnt good anymore and not picking up on the lack of convering exaust orwhat?
thanks.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
1996Ram318
All Star
Default RE: gutting my cat

I did cut the pipes and weld them back. Its not that bad though, not even a full afternoon of work.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 PM
shnormo
Veteran

Hahaha that honeycomb that was pulled out is all poisonous. DON'T DO IT

Old 02-14-2007, 05:47 PM
1969roadrunner
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's poisonous? I'm gonna have to call bullsh!t on that... It should just be charcoal or something similar... Prod it out with a stick if you're scared of it...

Just be aware that your O2 sensors are not going to like you after this and you are going to get lots of "Catalyst Effenciency Below Threshold" codes... No problem, but kinda of annoying...

Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It must be nice to live in a state with no emission inspection. Pennsylvania sucks.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 PM
red98ram
Professional

MAINE SUCKS ALSO, all these lift laws and emission laws, its gay

im not sure about the inside of the cat being poison but i have herd that some have espestis<spelling> which is a cancer causer but just dont touch it with bare hands and dont breath the crap in just take it out with gloves and then trash it...

Old 02-14-2007, 09:03 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1969roadrunner

It's poisonous? I'm gonna have to call bullsh!t on that... It should just be charcoal or something similar... Prod it out with a stick if you're scared of it...
Nope ... not charcoal ... precious metals ... according to Wikipedia:

The catalytic converter consists of several components: [ol][*]The core, or substrate. In modern catalytic converters, this is most often a ceramic honeycomb, however stainless steel foil honeycombs are also used. The purpose of the core is to "support the catalyst" and therefore it is often called a "catalyst support". The ceramic substrate was invented by Rodney Bagley, Irwin Lachman and Ronald Lewis at Corning Glass for which they were inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002.[*]The washcoat. In an effort to make converters more efficient, a washcoat is utilized, most often a mixture of silicon and aluminium. The washcoat, when added to the core, forms a rough, irregular surface which has a far greater surface area than the flat core surfaces, which is desirable to give the converter core a larger surface area, and therefore more places for active precious metal sites. The catalyst is added to the washcoat (in suspension) before application to the core.[*]The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used. However, it is not suitable for all applications because of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals that are used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst, while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, though each has its own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due to nickel hydrate formation). While copper can be used, its use is illegal in North America due to the formation of dioxin.[/ol]

Old 02-14-2007, 09:11 PM
97Ram2500
Professional

A friend of mine just took the back pipe off got a long 1/2" extention and just started hitting it with the impact wrench, once he was done he just started it up reved it a few times and blew out all of the chunks, then put it back together. Worked good for him..

Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 PM
red98ram
Professional

haha sounds kinda funny, didnt anyof it get cought in the muffler?

Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Instigater

Just a fewtechnical notes: 1) Asbestos and 2) He put it together AFTER he blew it all out!

Quick Reply: gutting my cat