2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

info on gearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Ram1500Dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on gearing

yes i searched and read all5 pages of the "match" criteria. still didnt get the answer i needed. i keep seeing the word "carrier" pop up and that it needs to be changed if going to anything bigger than 3.96 in the front D44 but not the 9.25 rear?. what is a carrier? something inside the diff or is it the diff itself? pictures would be great if anyone had them. next question, im running 35s with 3.55 gearing and havent seen O/D since the tires go put on, went muddin the other day and 4hi was completely useless...what gear would yall suggest, 4.10, 4.56? any input would a great help.

also, i do a lot of highway travel..70mph, where SHOULD the RPMS be at this speed?
another thing...what is a "thick" gear?

Steve

Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 PM
akyne
Rookie
Default RE: info on gearing

Check this link out and see what you get:http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartire.htm4.56's would be ideal with 35's. The trucks are geared a little on the high side out of the factory, presumably to retain fuel mileage, but 4.56's seem to providegoodpowerall aroundfor tires in the 35-36 range. I think with 4.10's, you'd still find your truck stumbling at the bottom end of your power. Just remember, the calculator doesn't account for the additional power needed to get (and keep) your bigger tires rolling.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Default RE: info on gearing

The carrier is what the ring gear bolts to, holds the spider gears and drives the axles. It is inside the axle's differential housing and is accessible by taking the diff cover off.

Quick Reply: info on gearing