2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission cooler and remote filter added

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks. Thats kinda what I thought. I wonder why they totally deleted it in the first place? And when you say contaminated, what exactly do you mean? There has been a rubber hose connecting the top and bottom holes since they put the auxiliary cooler on. Could it still have gotten contaminated?

Thanks again,

Brandon

Old 02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it could be contaminated by a past transmission failure, and be full of metal chips, or sludge, or other bad fragments. it might have been deleted because the mechanic didn't want to clean it out, or risk whatever it might contain. (time=money) new transmission warranties are often dependent on the replacement of the cooler.

another possible contamination is dirt daubbers, bugs, mud, or anything else that can find its way inside.

if your transmission once blew up, i'd just leave it deleted unless you can flush it and know for sure that its clean.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
it could be contaminated by a past transmission failure, and be full of metal chips, or sludge, or other bad fragments. it might have been deleted because the mechanic didn't want to clean it out, or risk whatever it might contain. (time=money) new transmission warranties are often dependent on the replacement of the cooler.

another possible contamination is dirt daubbers, bugs, mud, or anything else that can find its way inside.

if your transmission once blew up, i'd just leave it deleted unless you can flush it and know for sure that its clean.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I doubt any insects or such found there way in there (as its been sealed up since the rebuild), but the tranny did leave me stranded on the side of the road when it went. I dont know how bad it was though, I supose it could have sent chunks of whateverelse up there (I think he said the pump failed and took a bunch of stuff with it, cant remember).

Anyway, how would I go about cleaning it out or even determining if it is contaminated? If I can blow compressed air through it without any blockages do you think it would be fair to say it is OK to use it again? I would like to re-route it through it if it is going to help keep my tranny cooler, but I for sure want to make sure it is in operating condition. Thankya again fine sir.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i would start by blowing air through it.
if that works ok, then i'd connect the pressure line only to the transmission, and put the radiator output into a bucket. crank the truck and shift to neutral and let it pump a quart or so of fluid out into the the bucket. if it comes out with good force, and its clean, then you're probably ok to connect it in.

if it seems to dribble, or the fluid seems dirty, then don't connect it and keep working with it. i'm just guessing here, but more extreme flushes might be kerosene, atf, carb cleaner, or engine flush. maybe cap the bottom, fill it up and let it soak a few days.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

OK, yeah thats sounds like a plan. Thanks for all your help dhvaughan, its much appreciated.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
vaham
Default Confused !!

Okay, so I understand that the trans pressure line goes to the top of the rad/trans tank, and the return line is the bottom line w/check valve.

Most of the pics I see seem to show that the aftermarket trans cooler input is connected directly to the trans pressure line(upper line), outputs to the radiator tank(top of radiator-pics show tubing bent in a 180* bend and connected to the aftermarket cooler), then rad tank output to the return (lower)line back to the trans.

It seems to me that towing on a hot day with high engine/radiator coolant temps, this configuration would first cool the trans fluid with the aftermarket cooler, then, by convection, raise the temp back up again as it passes through the hotter radiator tank before returning to the trans via the return line.

It would seem to me that the best results would come by connecting the lower radiator tank output to the aftermarket cooler input, then the aftermarket cooler output directly to the trans return line(without the check valve). This would seem to afford the coolest fluid temp returned to the trans.

Am I confused ? The upper line is the pressure line, right ?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Upper line is not the PSI line.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

you've got the right idea, but have the lines mixed up.

pressure line (hot) --> lower radiator
upper radiator --> cooler in
cooler out --> return line

Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So can we use the stock tranny cooler and an after market one? Is there any way we can flush the factory one out?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Acapalic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean install , been meaning to tell you that btw, Also have u noticed any benfit since adding this on, now that uve been using it for a while, Any updates you wish u did? Im planning with my new Oil pan , to Do this while i have the fluid out , and flush all my systems.

Quick Reply: transmission cooler and remote filter added