2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio controls on steering wheel problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:48 PM
traderjk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio controls on steering wheel problem.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 w/ Cummins Diesel.
I have the remote radio controls on the steering wheel and the other day, they just stopped working. The radio/cd player and tape deck work and you can tune the radio and change stations etc. manually but not using the steering wheel controls. Is there a seperate fuse for that and if so, where is it???
Thanks.
Traderjk

Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 AM
traderjk
Default RE: Radio controls on steering wheel problem.

Guess nobody has any ideas...LOL

Old 03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Radio controls on steering wheel problem.

I'd say look in the fuse box. I had my key on accessory the other day, and the radio display would fade in and out, but the cd still played. When the display showed, the controls worked. When it faded out, only the controls on the head unit itself would work. Whenever I fiddled with the key, it would flash. So I guess it could be any number of things.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM
traderjk
Default Found the problem

I fixed the problem I was having with the remote steering wheel controls for the radio.
I found the problem while trying to fix a different problem. I got in my truck, turned the key as I had thousands of times before, but this time nothing at all happened. So I took the cover off from under the steering wheel where all the wiring comes into a junction box.
I found that my ignition wire had broken off at the terminal inside the junction.
I also noticed another small black wire that had been broken. I put a new terminal on the end of the ignition wire and re-inserted it into the junction box and I repaired the small black wire as well. The engine fired right up and I now have my remote steering wheel controls for my radio back. Apparently the tilting and un tilting of the steering wheel over time breaks the wires. Of course they cut the ignition wire to length with no play, so it is constantly being tugged on.
Hope this helps someone who may have a similar problem.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving to 2nd Gen section

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM
byrdman1981

fuse shared with wiper motor

Quick Reply: Radio controls on steering wheel problem.