2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vacuum Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 PM
robformus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Pump

Does anyone know if the vacuum pump that is located on the passenger side of the truck (under the hood) controls the front differential..? I replaced the heads and after i got the truck put back together the front will not lock in you can feel the transfer case engage but no front axel will not engage can some one HELP I want my 4X4 back....I had to fix one of the vacuum lines that goes to what they call the vacuum pump that is located on the front axel. The truck is a 1999 Dodge ram 1500 4X4 with the 5.9

Old 03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
zique
Captain
Default RE: Vacume Pump

You may have accidentally disconnected one of the vacuum lines running to your CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) unit while you were replacing the headers. They run from a vacuum switch at the top of the T-case to the CAD on the passengar side of the axle.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
robformus
Default RE: Vacuum Pump

Well i check all the the vacuum lines they all seem to be connected...Is there any fuses for the transfer case or the vacuum pump? the books you buy at the part stores don't talk much about the Transfer case or the front Axel.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
johnalm
Rookie

the best thing to do is get a vacumme gauge and check for vac at the diff switch fork. you should have vac on 1 side in 2wd and on the other side in 4wd. check the 2 smallsteel lines on the pass side frame. these get over looked a lot. if vac is ok you have a seized actuator on the diff. if vac dont change lines from 2-4wd. you need a vac switch on the t-case

Old 03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
robformus

Thanks that is some good info I am going to check that when I get home tonight..If the vac. switch is bad could that cause no vac. in both sides?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM
johnalm
Rookie

yes and that pump thing under your hood. if that is the one under the battery that is for the cruise control.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:38 PM
robformus

The pump is on the other side is behind the passanger head light

Quick Reply: Vacuum Pump