2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a little help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
jmaninmt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a little help

Hi all,

I have a 97 ram 5.2l 4x4 - yester day it over heated pretty bad, coolant was squirting out from the timing chain cover gasket (right behind the long bolt thatalso connects the water pump.( it was almost finger tight?) took off the water pump last night - pretty pitted in there, fins seem fine, going to replace that, thermostat and timing chain gasket. while i have all this crap off is ther anything else i should do while i'm there???? Also what is the best way to get the fan and clutch off of the water pump pully????? any help would be great

Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM
shnormo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: a little help

There is a special tool to take off the fan clutch for the water pump and fan separation or you can give it the "shock" treatment with a pnumatic hammer to shock the nut lose. I would also check the intake gaskets and head gaskets. Easy way to check is to see if you have antifreeze in the motor.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: a little help

not sure of the cost, but take a look at your timing chain while you are there. if you have much wear or slack replace the chain and both gears. there is also a small bypass hose on the water pump, replace it.