2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time to bleed the brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to bleed the brakes ?

Noticed a faint rubbing noise coming from the front passenger side of my truck. Its been doing this for awhile now on occasion but now it is almost constant. Driving around town at slower speeds i can hear it, tap the brakes slightly and it quites for a bit, then starts up again. Time to bleed the brakes or maybe a weak caliper? What do you guys think?

Old 03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Time to bleed the brakes ?

Is there any chance it's your low pad indicator that making the noise? The brake pads will make a continuous squeal if they are at the point where they should be changed. The noise stops because the pad quells the noise. If the rotors are warped, the squealing will bechoppy. Check your brake fluid level. If it is on the low side, then your pads probably need changing. Don't top of the master cylinder with fluid. It will rise to the top when you retract the pistons.

There's never any reason to bleed unless you have changed a brake line, hose, caliper, wheel cylinder, mc, etc. Check your sysyem for leaks.

And if your calipers are factory, I would install new pins and bushings, and lube the calipers up properly.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Default RE: Time to bleed the brakes ?

Checked out my pads and rotors and they appear to be fine. No squealing or choppy brakeing of any kind when slowing down. Brake fluid level is ok as well, and no leaks that i can see. Calipers however, to my knowledge, are factory.....

Quick Reply: Time to bleed the brakes ?