2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:25 AM
M_Shepherd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad TPS?

I have a 00 Ram 1500 2wd 5.9L V8, and when I start it up, the rpm gauge bounces slightly (maybe 100-300 RPM) constantly, and when I start to drive, my tranny shifts at very odd times. When it shifts to 2nd, it almost immedietly shifts to 3rd, then when it shifts to 4th, the rpm gaugewill hang at 2000 for just a sec or 2 before dropping.

Basically, The tranny is shifting fine, it isnt slipping, it just shifts at odd times, and the RPM gauge acts like it sticks for a sec when it shifts to 4th.

Does this sound like a TPS problem?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Bad TPS?

not really. tps tells the computer how hard you are mashing the gas, and then the computer tells the engine how hard and fast to go. side note regarding idle... the Idle Air Controller (iac) is responsible for the idle speed, but that only comes into play when your foot is off the gas and the throttle body plate is closed. the iac lets air bypass the closed plate. just for comparison, i drive real gentle and i get the 1-2 shift about 10-15mph and the 2-3 shift at about 25-30mph. Both of these occur at about 1800-2000 or so rpm. some people tell me i'm crazy but then i get TC lockup in 3rd at about 35-40 mph and then i get the 3-OD shift at about 45. all this is with a light foot.

there is a speed sensor on the tailhousing(?) of the transmission. it could be bad ?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:43 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at some of these:

[IMG]local://upfiles/39331/ECA801635E4042588A1F1B1C27C35958.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

not really. tps tells the computer how hard you are mashing the gas, and then the computer tells the engine how hard and fast to go. side note regarding idle... the Idle Air Controller (iac) is responsible for the idle speed, but that only comes into play when your foot is off the gas and the throttle body plate is closed. the iac lets air bypass the closed plate. just for comparison, i drive real gentle and i get the 1-2 shift about 10-15mph and the 2-3 shift at about 25-30mph. Both of these occur at about 1800-2000 or so rpm. some people tell me i'm crazy but then i get TC lockup in 3rd at about 35-40 mph and then i get the 3-OD shift at about 45. all this is with a light foot.

there is a speed sensor on the tailhousing(?) of the transmission. it could be bad ?
Don't our trannys shift up through all the gears, THEN go into lockup?

That's how my 95' does it. 1-2-3-4...lockup. I have heard a few guys say their tranny locks up in 3rd, then shifts into overdrive. If you shut the overdrive off, let the truck shift into 3rd, then wait for lockup. Now turn the overdrive on. The tc unlocks, the tranny shifts into od, then the tc locks up again.

I'm just curious about this because I think lockup happens last.

Good luck with ALL our rides.