2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

not about a dodge but need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 PM
pollocksn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not about a dodge but need some help

Ok well this is not about my dodge but since you guys are the smartest people on the internet I thought I would ask. I am about to buy a jeep http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/295213905.html if you want to check it out. The only problem is the title is in limbo of being transfered. The guy who owns it is getting it transfered out of his granparents and his name and into just his. He said he could give me a bill of sale until he gets it in the mail. Only problem is if I want it I would have to go pick it up in on monday. It is the only day I have off and he is about two and half hours away from me. I dont know much about the bill of sale thing so if you guys could tell me whether its bad or ok to do it would help me out. Oh the jeep looks like a good deal to me he has all the reciepts for the rebuilds and all. Obviously if I get there and the thing is a piece of crap he is going to have a pissed of oklahoma on his hands, and nobody wants that.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 PM
radwebster
Captain
Default RE: not about a dodge but need some help

theres a lot of legal issues that could crop up when you deal with vehicles that havent been registered in a while. i recall hearing about how you have to pay taxes on the years it was unregistered or something to that effect, where you would end up paying alot more than you bargained for just to get it back on the road.

also, tell him to sort out the title before you make the multi-hour drive to get it.

why would you want to get involved in all this crap, which could take months to get resolved and may cost you hundreds more? tell him to have it all sorted out before you come down with cash in hand.

and i wouldnt get into the whole bill of sale thing...why? because he will still have the title. you own the title, you own the car. thats pretty much how it goes. let him know you're interested in the vehicle, but only when he has a clear title in hand ready for transfer.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:34 AM
pollocksn
Professional

Well the jeep was tagged last year so the paying for the unregistered years wouldnt be that much. The more and more I think about it I dont like the bill of sale. The only reason I wanted to go pick it up so soon was b/c im on spring break. Between school and work I dont have a single day off. I think im gonna take the smart route so I dont get screwed and wait for the title issue to be resolved. Who knows maybe I can take a day off work to go get it.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good move on waiting. if you really want the jeep you could write up a signed sale contract, pay him a deposit, and get a receipt, and then pay the balance when he has clear title. as it is now, its possible, remotely.. possible, that once he has your money he might not work too hard on getting the title ironed out.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

A Cherokee. Ha, Unibody fun.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM
pollocksn
Professional

Socha what do you mean by unibody fun? I am basically getting this for a toy. I am tired of getting mad eveytime I put new scratch or dent in my truck. I figured I am not getting rid of my truck until the thing blows up on me, so I better not make it ugly as all hell in the process. If I get this and everything is good to go on the engine there will be a a lift and tires and more goodies slapped on it pretty quick.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Cherokee's don't have an actual frame. The frame and body are one solid piece that can NOT come apart. If you crawl under and look you'll see.

If your gonna keep it stock you'll be ok but if you plan on lifting you could run into some problems, but they do make good wheelers as long as you don't go to extreme on them.

The problem with lifting it is this. The unibody is sealed off, its pretty much a U shaped piece of thiner steel that the body is welded to, so its pretty much sealed off inside there. The leaf springs and trans crossmember have nuts welded to the inside of the unibody and bolts threaded into them from the outside. Once these get old the welds break on the nuts so when you go to take the bolt off it just spins the nut with the bolt. The only way to really get this out is to cut holes in the floor to get into that U shaped "frame" to put a wrench on the nut.

My buddy's cherokee we just swaped lifts...we had to cut 8 holes in the floor to get to 4 broken nuts on both sides. PITA...

That cherkoee looks really clean though, and southern vehicles usually don't have nearly any of the rust problems northern cars do. So you might be lucky and they'll come off no problem, or the welds might break [&:]

Also, if you plan of lifting it and wheeling it I would STRONGLY recomend getting rid of that Dana35 in the rear. That has to be the crapiest axle ever made. They're so weak its not even funny. Chrysler 8.25" rear came in later model Cherokee's and one will bolt right into yours. Heres a site based on only Jeep Cherokee's. http://www.naxja.org/ They have tons of info and a great forum.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
pollocksn
Professional

Well thanks Socha I just learned something. I am planning on going offroading but nothing too crazy. It will be mainly rig I can go to the river in and also get to my hunting spots. If I do have to cut into the floor then it shall be done. Unlike my truck if I have to bust out a saw to make it work it wont hurt my feelings.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wait for title in hand, could save you headaches in the future.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
pollocksn
Professional

Yeah I am. As of now the guy thinks im gonna take it with a bill of sale, have not had chance to talk to him about it. If he does not want to wait until he has the title then im gonna pass.

Quick Reply: not about a dodge but need some help