2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake plenum gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
98RamSport360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Intake plenum gasket

Do the APS precicsion deluxe kitwork? They first time mine wet bad was at 60,000 miles, I replaced it myself and then at 120,000 it went again so i have been waiting for a solution that works longer then 60,000 miles. The thing that made me mad was having to destroy $80 worth of intack gasket's to replace a $20 plentum gasket. I have 186,000 miles on the truck now and I would like to do the timing chain and plentum gasket all at once.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: flintspirit

don't use the gaskets at the front and back of your intake because they have a tendency to blow out. Use a thick bead of high temp permatex instead.Apply it to the block and set the intake straight down.
I would highly recommend that you not do this, but that's my opinion. I've heard several others on this forum do as flintsprint states and most of them have had to re-do the work. Use the gaskets that come with the Fel-Pro set. If they are cork or rubber use them. My cork gaskets for the front and back of hte intake required plastic pins to help hold them in place. I made mine from some scrap plastic I had.

Also, only use enough gasket sealer to seal the joints between the side and end gaskets. Other than checking the torque on the planumpan boltsand the intake manifold bolts about 10 times each, I followed the written procedure and recommended torque pattern exactly and no longer have any leaks.

BTW, I used the APS plenum, gasket, and bolts and have had no issues, but I've heard the Hughes setup is just as good.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

ORIGINAL: flintspirit

don't use the gaskets at the front and back of your intake because they have a tendency to blow out. Use a thick bead of high temp permatex instead.Apply it to the block and set the intake straight down.
I would highly recommend that you not do this, but that's my opinion. I've heard several others on this forum do as flintsprint states and most of them have had to re-do the work. Use the gaskets that come with the Fel-Pro set. If they are cork or rubber use them. My cork gaskets for the front and back of hte intake required plastic pins to help hold them in place. I made mine from some scrap plastic I had.

Also, only use enough gasket sealer to seal the joints between the side and end gaskets. Other than checking the torque on the planumpan boltsand the intake manifold bolts about 10 times each, I followed the written procedure and recommended torque pattern exactly and no longer have any leaks.

BTW, I used the APS plenum, gasket, and bolts and have had no issues, but I've heard the Hughes setup is just as good.
I think that boils down to an "either/or" argument. My machinist told me *NOT* to use the cork, and to lay a bead of Permatex. To make matters worse, I opted to lightly coat the top and bottom of both cork gaskets, as I was concerned about the back on shifting. *sigh* Anyway, Mike showed me an engine out in his lot where it was evident of a THICK bead of Permatex. He stated that the Chevy rebuild kits no longer include the cork gaskets.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Like I said in my post, it's my opinion and recommendation. I agree with you VWandDODGE as it is a preference thing. We've each got to make the decision to do it how we wnat based on the information at hand. I just wanted to make sure he knew my opinion.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Like I said in my post, it's my opinion and recommendation. I agree with you VWandDODGE as it is a preference thing. We've each got to make the decision to do it how we wnat based on the information at hand. I just wanted to make sure he knew my opinion.

Yeah, and mine is STILL leaking a bit of oil from the top [:@] I am thinking it *might* be coming out of the distributor as the pressure sending unit looked OK.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I've always used the ruber type of gaskets and they worked really well, you just need a dab of sealant on each end and your good to go.

and realizing the original poster is from months back... I swapped the heads out at the same time and it was torn down before Jr went in there to clean the surfaces...

Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Where did you get rubber gaskets? Both kits I got when I did my truck came with cork.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

The Mopar kit comes with endgaskets that are rubber coated metal. As Steve said, you just have to hit the four corners and you are good to go. Also, I have found that the Mopar gaskets seem to align and stay alignedwith the ports better than the felpro set.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: mopowar

The Mopar kit comes with endgaskets that are rubber coated metal. As Steve said, you just have to hit the four corners and you are good to go. Also, I have found that the Mopar gaskets seem to align and stay alignedwith the ports better than the felpro set.
AH! Good to know. I will keep that in mind as I may hit my intake *yet again*.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:39 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

yup, he beat me to it.

Quick Reply: Intake plenum gasket