2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

B&G Flashed PCM Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default B&G Flashed PCM Installed

So I replaced my Mopar Performance PCM with a B&G performance flashed PCM. I had them give me a custom flash that is closer to their M1 performanceflash then it is to their stock kegger performanceflash (planning for my future mods). In addition to the performance programing, they also remove torque management, and adjusted my RPM's and shift points, fuel, timing, etc... I've been driving the truck all weekend, waiting for it to go through the learning process. I have about 150 miles on it so far, and all I can say is WOW!

None of the other PCM mods I have tried (Hypertech and Mopar Performance PCM's) even compare to what this did for my truck. Best way to discribe it is that my truck feels like it is on an adrenaline rush all the time. With the idle RPM raised slightly (sorry, I don't have a tack, but I think it is now800 rpm from what I recall them saying), the truck feels like it is ready to jump out of its skin. Then you give it the gas, and there is no more sluggishness at all, andno low rpm dead spots. It just accelerates as hard as you want it to until you let off. This is what removing torque management does for full throttle accelerations. Iwas able to light up my 33" tires, which areBFG All Terrains, and I have an automatic transmission. Really wishing I had a stick right now, it would be even better. It seems to shift more firmly now too. So far, I would have to say it is one of the best mods I have done. It was pricey ($400), but it was well worth it in my opinion. I'm sure my mileage is going to suffer, but you can't have a truck that runs like mine does now and expect 14-16 mpg. I'll keep an eye on it though and let you know how it does on gas, but it's going to be real hard to keep my foot out of it.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:49 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: B&G Flashed PCM Installed

Have you done any improvements/ upgrades to your tranny prior to installing this, my brother did a custom computer to his 01, worked awesome with plenty of power, had torque management removed, shift points changed, was his daily driver to and from work, very conservative on the pedal, then the tranny scattered, B&G said it was the weak link in the chain. But if you have the oil mods for VB, stronger torque converter, and some kevlar or carbon fiber bands you should be ok.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 PM
kikidbird
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, Im going to get my computer flashed. I have a lot of mods on my truck and the computer cant handle it. I just wait a couple of weeks because im installing bigger fuel injectors, then I ll get my B&G Flash. The comp cam I installed noted that the computer may require modifications. What was the totall down time of your truck sending out your PCM?

Old 03-18-2007, 05:11 PM
red98ram
Professional

are you selling ur mopar pcm?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:03 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

Does the B&G require the use of premium fuel?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Downtime is mostly up to you. He (Dave) usually flashes it the same day he gets it and ships it back out 2 day air (included in cost of flash). So if you overnight it to himyour downtime would be roughly 3-4 days depending on what time it you send it and what time it arrives.

Congrats Silver, I bet you wished you'd have done it sooner. I bet you can sell that Mopar pcm for about what you paid for the flash.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:28 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Fuel octane depends on compression.When I replacedmy heads I cleaned the combustion chambers really good. After that I was able to run 89. After ~ 10k miles the motor started to detonate going up hills and I switched back to 93

Old 03-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ya, I think my biggest concern about using this PCM is the long term affects of this on my trans and other drivetrain components. I guess I will replace em as they fail with stronger components. [&:] I may do a shift kit though in the mean time.

I'm not sure about octane, i've been running 91 since I put in my Mopar PCM, so I will probably just stick with that. Might test out mid grade sometime though to see if it pings, but I bet in the hot summer I will need to run 91.

As far as down time went, there was none for me. I had my stock PCM and two Mopar Performance PCM's, one of which was installed in the truck. So I sent them the other Mopar PCM (keeping the stock one in case I need to put it back in the truck someday). So now I have a stock pcm, a Mopar PCM, and a B&G PCM. I figure if the B&G is too hard on gas or not good to tow with, I can switch back to one of my other PCM's.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
kikidbird
Veteran

Silver Dodge, what is your compression ration? What type of heads do you have now

Old 03-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Last time I checked compression, I was at about 135-140 on each cylinder. I still have the stock heads for now. Good aftermarket heads are so expensive.

Quick Reply: B&G Flashed PCM Installed