2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

abs light and break lights on

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:00 AM
bwalker1947
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs light and break lights on

The other day after i started my dodge ram 1500 2wd the peddle went almost to the floor and had to be pumped up to stop, the abs and break light came on In a few days the peddle felt pretty good , so I had the breaks checked , they found a line to the rear breaks leaking and replaced it and replaced the shoes and wheel cylinders, and then bled them. the light is still on and they said its because of the abs unit , they never did give me a code as the speed sensor could have been bad but what i need to know is where is the test point for this truck? and can I get the codes myself by grownding a lead on this test point? the manual says yes, and that the test point is under the dash, I can't find any there , I hate to replace the unit which is very exspensive if the speed sensor is the problem. btw this is a 1996 dodge ram 1500 2wd....can the abs be disconnected and the lights go out ? any help here would be great thanks

barry walker

Old 03-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Buzz
Default RE: abs light and break lights on

disconect the battery for a few minutes.Mine stayed on after I fixed a line and that was that I done to get it off

Old 03-19-2007, 01:26 AM
tmills65

Do you have the RWAL (rear wheel anti-lock) or the optional 4 wheel ABS?

The test procedures are different for each of these systems. You can temporarily groundterminal 13 (black wire) on the diagnostic connector (OBD-II)to get the codes on the RWAL system. THe ABS light will flash the codes. You need a special (expensive) code reader to getthe codes forthe 4 wheel ABS system.

I have a 96 1500 with the optional 4 wheel ABS and I am currently trying to get the error codes from the ABS system. As far as I have been able to find out, I need to take it to a dealer to use a Chrysler Diag Tool. I have tried a mechanic with a Snap-On scan tool (updated in December) and he was unable to get anything.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
lumpy
Rookie

I replaced the vehicle speed sensor in my 99 1500 and the lights went out. If your speedo is not working or acting funny it may be the VSS. My ABS , check engine and brake lights were all lit up. After replacing the VSS they all went out and I have not had any problems since. There are generally two of them, and you will probably need the one that is on top of the rear differential. It is only available from your local Dodge dealer and costs about 70 bucks, you might want to look into it, Good Luck!!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 PM
mopar man 6978

almost the same thing happened to me and what it ended up being was wire going to the brake lights was resting on my exhaust and it melted through the isulation and blew the abs fuse
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have proper vacuum. The pedal dropping can be vacuum related. You may also have a hole on the brake line somewhere.

No fluid loss? If vacuum is not where it should be, I'd replace the check valves first. Cheap and easy, yet crtitical to the entire system...lol.

Quick Reply: abs light and break lights on