2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooling System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
LittleToyRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System Issues

I have two questions regarding the cooling system on my 2001 Ram 1500 5.9L.

First, there is some sort of drain or steel nipple on the firewall, just below and behind a black cylinder/canister that is part of the AC system. Does anyone know what this is? It appears that antifreeze is slowly dripping from it.

Secondly, this may or may not be related, but when I turn on the defroster, hot or cold, my windshield fogs up and I can smell antifreeze. Does this mean that the heater core needs to be replaced? Or could the just be the blower motor be sucking antifreeze filled air into the cab?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 02:56 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Cooling System Issues

the drain pipe is for the condensation from the ac. it should only be dripping clear water, not anti-freeze.

a fogging windshield and antifreeze smell is usually a leaking heater core. as a temporary fix, you could remove your heater hoses from the heater core tubes on the firewall, and connect them together. of course you will have no heat, but also no fog, and its springtime anyway. i've never done a heater core replacement on the dodge yet, but previous posts indicate its a all day pita job.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

u got a heater core leak my friend

Old 03-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

sorry about the duel posts I lve in ATL if u need some one to replace it thats my job at the dealer Heat/AC

Quick Reply: Cooling System Issues