2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Shot or Another Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
bigred1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shot or Another Problem

Towing my boat to the lake, my transmission finally went south the other day. No fishing that day. I need some help diagnosing the problem. My check engine light has been on for several months but I could never find any thing wrong. If I pulled the negative lead off the battery the light would go off then come back on after driving it for about 25 minutes. Other than that the truck ran great. But now the thing goes into reverse pretty good but when you put it in drive or when you put it in 1st it doesnt seem to shift until you give it some gas. I'm pretty sure my throttle positioning sensor is good. Plus i'm leaking trans fluid. I think it needs a rebuild, but someone told me it could be a valve body or something. Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 PM
2001mustang_gt
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Shot or Another Problem

see if you can get access to a scan tool and find out what codes are being tripped and it might lead you in the right direction

Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
bamory
Captain

If you can make it a local parts store like Autozone, they will pull your code and then you can find out what is being thrown.

Also, when your CEL first came on, you should have checked it out then, its not just a pretty amber light on the dash, may have saved you some $$$$$ in the future. Im taking it as you didint have the other codes read by your statement of disconnecting the neg lead.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Hold on while "Carnac the Magnificent", in his mystical and bordeline, devine way, trys to ascertain the YEAR and MODEL of your Ram, without ever having previously seen the truck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/BC260EEF9D3A4A4DA5ABE3AEA2C0D0E4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Transmission Shot or Another Problem