2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 PM
ThainC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Question

Feel free to flame, I don't really care at this point. I have a 99 Ram 4x4. Having a slight issue with doing my front brakes. I took off the caliper, compressed it (Took the lid off the MC and wrapped a rag around it). I put on new brake pads (Hawks), and a new rotor, slotted, Power something or rather (I'd normally remember, but a bit flustered). Lubed up everything, went to put the caliper with new pads onto the new rotor and have quickly come to realize it's not lining up.

Where the two bolts slide through and hold the caliper to everything else, the metal "sleeves" of the bolts seem to be sticking out too far and stopping me from properly putting the caliper back on. Now, I'd read somewhere (I've searched and bloody well searched) about someone removing pins and polishing them to clean them up - It doesn't seem like these come out, but if someone wants to prove me wrong - please do. I tried using a c-clamp and pushing it, but no luck. At work, losing sunlight, annoyed that I thought this would go quicker and it isn't. I'm sure there's plenty of life lessons here, but right now I'd be happy with a simple solution to my dilemna.

Thanks,
Chad.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM
ThainC
Default RE: Brake Question

Not to needless bump, but could really use some insight. Running out of day light, and I'm stuck at work until this situation is resolved.

Thanks,
Chad.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
ThainC

Okay, I see a picture with them slid out... Now that I know they DO slide back, now it's just a matter of doing it...

Chad.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm working from memory here but I think you have to draw them back from the outside.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 AM
ThainC

Thanks, Bill. I managed. They were VERY VERY VERY VERY stuck to say the least. Got them out, cleaned them up, greased them lightly, and went on my way. Was just a little spastic earlier, lacking time, not expecting an issue like that, and well - just generally frustrated.

Thanks though,
Chad.

Quick Reply: Brake Question