2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I just almost pooped my pants

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I just almost pooped my pants

I'd check your balljoints. What we did when I worked at a shop was jack up the front one either side at a time or both if you want about 2 inchs off the ground and took a pry bar and put it under the tire and lifted up and down to see if they had any play in them. Then took our hands to see if the tire had any play side to side and then again up and down with hands. It was supposed to also tell us if something else had play in it but I forgot what it is. Easiest to have someone look at the ball joints while doing this if you don't know what you are feeling for. It should all be tight feeling. After doing it for a while you got to know what you were feeling for but if you've never done it before you may want to have someone watch the ball joints.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 AM
pollocksn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Fellas after a night out at the bar I have come to a conclusion. I am not going back there. I just looked at what they charged me for the axle shaft business. I payed $40 or so for the part and $140 in labor. I will not be going back. My only question now is I have not noticed any problems with anything else so what do I need to look for? They did tell me that the play in everything else is not that bad but it is on its way out and that I will need to fix it sooner or later. I really dont know much about suspension stuff I am willing to give it a shot on my own. I have the beginings of a good tool collection and anything that warrants buying more is not a problem. My only issue is school+work= no days off. Well im about to go soak my problems away in the ol' hot tub, its the one thing I bought that never fails me. If anyone of you lives near me and would like to help Ill buy a case of beer and maybe you can teach me something.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 AM
Rammer
Rookie

I've never been to a repair shop that didn't tell me that something else is going and "should we just do it now?" They're all B.S'ers and are trying to get money out of you for nothings.
Thats my opinion

Old 03-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Zachtk8702
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Sinister

ORIGINAL: 2001mustang_gt

i had my whole entire fornt end redone for 2,200 and that was right after i got home from getting married...that went over really well
dont women realize that they dont replace our trucks, they're just another accessory for it..
hahah another accessory lmfao

Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
radwebster
Captain

anyone that has ever worked at a dealer or auto repair shop knows that all employees are told and trained to sell parts and service that may or may not be needed. thats how the shops generate money. if it feels ok, it is. dont waste your money.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:36 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie

They wanted to charge me for a tps sensor one hundred fifty dollars at a shop...bought the tool take it off for five bucks and the tps sensor for 35 total 40 dollars, took five minutes also so consider doing the work yourself. Oh yeah had my truck aligned was told needed new tires since my suspension ive been doing new lol if you really cant do it yourself shop around

Quick Reply: I just almost pooped my pants