2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I just almost pooped my pants

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:08 PM
pollocksn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just almost pooped my pants

Ok my truck was making this clunking noise and I took it to hibdons b/c I know nothing about suspension
Here is what they said was wrong

Upper and lower ball joints $813.92

Left inner tie rod
pitmann arm
Something else I cant remember right now all together $755.55

The clunking noise was coming from the right axle outer shaft $188.52

I had them fix the problem with the axle shaft. I cant remember exactly what was wrong with it I kinda quit listening when he told me the grand total was $1900 plus tax.
He said that the other stuff was not that bad but it was starting to go. First thought was what the hell I have not had any problems with any of that other stuff. Just the clunkity clunk sound from my front tire when going really slow. Do those prices sound crazy or is it just me? If there is probkems with the other stuff it will most likely be fixed when I start to notice problems with it, until then I will be waiting for a catostrophic failure of my suspension. Stupid dodge always trying to suck my hard earned money out of me. It only has 63,000nmiles on it and I dont drive it hard. I dont have huge tires on it just 285/75s so how would all of this stuff go out? Well I will have the estimate for everything else when I go pick it up so I will know more about what they said.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
hcast8
Default RE: I just almost pooped my pants

Dam that a **** load of monay did you go to the dealer?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them fix the problem with the axle shaft. I cant remember exactly what was wrong with it I kinda quit listening when he told me the grand total was $1900 plus tax.
U-joint maybe? How you set for tools? 2 grand buys a LOT of hardware ... the downside is ... you have to use it.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 PM
mikecjn
Professional

That's a bull**** estimate they are giving you on the ball joints.
I just had my uppers and lowers changed out and both front axle u-joints and the total parts and labor was $470.
I would get someone else to look at it first or try to do it yourself.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 AM
pollocksn
Professional

Yeah the guy said he could get the ball joint part down he estimated for some pretty expensive ones. New total 1532.00 Here is the estimate I got.
I need upper and lower ball joints $813.92 (should be about two hundred or so cheaper), tie rod@pitman arm $83.65, left inner tie rod end $174.44, track arm $349.06, , and of course after all that they still have to charge for an alignment. Oh and I couldnt forget about the labor $493.19. Sorta makes me want to cry.
I just a squirrel trying to get a nut.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 AM
2001mustang_gt
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my whole entire fornt end redone for 2,200 and that was right after i got home from getting married...that went over really well

Old 03-22-2007, 12:38 AM
pollocksn
Professional

Oh this was not at the dealer either. It was at Hidbon Tires plus. The same place that took six trips up there and a week to get three new studs and lugs for a wheel that their brilliant tire guys cross threaded. I will check into some other places thought before I shell out the money, or atleast attempt to do it myself.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2001mustang_gt

i had my whole entire fornt end redone for 2,200 and that was right after i got home from getting married...that went over really well
dont women realize that they dont replace our trucks, they're just another accessory for it..

Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Thats such bull ****. Ball joints you can do yourself, just go rent or buy a ball joint press.

You can buy the tie rod and do that yourself too, they're really easy. You'll need a pickle fork, which is probably 20 bucks. You'll need it to get the ball joints off and maybe the tie rods.

As for your outer shaft. Are you kidding? Thats such a lie. At worst the axle u joints are shot. To change the u joints you can use the same press thats needed for the ball joints.

The pitman arm is bad?! WTF. That doesn't happen, its fine. I'll put $100 on it.

You can do this all yourself in a weekend for probably $300. If you have to buy the ball joint press for $100 you'll still be saving a ton of money.

DO IT YOURSELF! It really sounds to me that they're trying to take advantage of you.

You got hosed, if you want to save tons of money, learn more, and start getting a tool collection learn to do this yourself. You just outed yourself at least $1300.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

Thats such bull ****. Ball joints you can do yourself, just go rent or buy a ball joint press.

You can buy the tie rod and do that yourself too, they're really easy. You'll need a pickle fork, which is probably 20 bucks. You'll need it to get the ball joints off and maybe the tie rods.

As for your outer shaft. Are you kidding? Thats such a lie. At worst the axle u joints are shot. To change the u joints you can use the same press thats needed for the ball joints.

The pitman arm is bad?! WTF. That doesn't happen, its fine. I'll put $100 on it.

You can do this all yourself in a weekend for probably $300. If you have to buy the ball joint press for $100 you'll still be saving a ton of money.

DO IT YOURSELF! It really sounds to me that they're trying to take advantage of you.

You got hosed, if you want to save tons of money, learn more, and start getting a tool collection learn to do this yourself. You just outed yourself at least $1300.
i 2nd that...it'll take you just a day to take care of most of those things.. compared to over a week they will spend taking their sweet as time tearing your truck apart and replacing things that are perfectly fine

Quick Reply: I just almost pooped my pants