2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Stretch

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM
landarch96
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Stretch

Here's the story...

Life changes and I need to get kids in my back seat. The QC doesn't give muchspace for car seats or leg room. I went and looked at some 3rd gen. Dodges and I don't think the new 4 doors have any more room than my QC does now. The megacabs are bigger but impossible to find used for a reasonable price. All that leads me to this question...

Has anyone seen a 2nd gen. stretched into a crew cab? If so, any pics? Do you know who did it? Contact info?

If not, I may be forced to by a Ford.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Ram Stretch

Somebody posted one up that they found on ebay quite a while back, no ide where they had it done, might have even been factory, but they make a rediculously small amount of them.

The cost of having it done would probably be more then buying a new truck [&:]

Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a show on TV once about a comapny in the midwest somewhere that specializes in that type of modification. There is apparaently a pretty good segment of farmers and ranchers who want a vehicle big enough to haul a lot of kids, but that also need it to be a working pickup. They do stuff like adding a cab to a cab, so you have basically two back seats. They also make a lot of the stretched limos. It was several years ago when I saw that, so I can't give you any more info that what I just did.

I think the cost would probably high enough that you might as well just buy the bigger Ram though. I have a similar dillema. We have a baby, and I have only an extended cab, not club cab (meaning I have no rear opening doors). It is challenging to get the car seat in and out. Even the club cab would be better I think, but I don't want to sell my truck. My inlaws have a new full size Ram (not the mega cab), and it is a lot better for room, so you might want to look at those again. I don't like how the back seat narrows down in the center, but the actual room in the back seats overall is much better then it was on the 2nd gen's.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:17 PM
landarch96
Rookie

I found the old thread, but the link to the pics isn't valid anymore. Anybody still have them saved?

Old 03-23-2007, 02:28 PM
radwebster
Captain

so you cant afford a megacab, but you think you can purchase a custom, very detailed and labor intensive stretched truck? you can buy two used megacabs for the price of what you want done.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:53 PM
mikerados21
Veteran

Get the durango with a 5.7 Hemi in it. Youll have plenty of room and power....

Old 03-23-2007, 03:05 PM
landarch96
Rookie

I think you're probably right Rad, but I don't know that for sure and neither do you. That's why I want to find out more.

These forums are to help people answer questions not to insult the question without giving any worthwhile information. Don't question why I want to find out more on this and I won't question why you spent all that money doing those kind of mods on a 1500.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
big truck man

The company that was on TV is out of Minnesota. I can't remember the name of either the company or the town.[/align][/align]I know the 3rd. gen quad cabs are a little bigger in the back than the 2nd gen extend cabs. If you are just looking for more room for your kids I would tend to think that the quad cabs would be big enough for now. I guess it all depends on how often your children travel with you in the truck.[/align]

Old 03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
radwebster
Captain

ORIGINAL: landarch96

I think you're probably right Rad, but I don't know that for sure and neither do you. That's why I want to find out more.

These forums are to help people answer questions not to insult the question without giving any worthwhile information. Don't question why I want to find out more on this and I won't question why you spent all that money doing those kind of mods on a 1500.

fair enough, but i can guarantee you it'll be more than $20k for a custom stretched cab...and thats not including the truck itself. unless you want the truck to look like its just two cabs welded together, its gonna be $$$. and on top of that, alot of the parts will become custom one-offs. if you want to keep adecent sizedbed, they will have to extend the frame. which means longer driveshafts, brake lines, fuel lines, etc. while the megacab is pretty expensive too, you have to keep in mind that you're also getting a much newer truck on top of the added room.

and by the way, i have like $1500 into my truck, if that.

and i'm sorry if my comment came off as insulting, but it wasnt usless information. you wanted to know the feasibility of having your truck extended...and i gave you a straightforward answer.

Quick Reply: Ram Stretch