2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Explorer Hub

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
mattyge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explorer Hub

Hey guys i know that this isn't a mopar question but you guys are very knowledgable about these things so i thought i'd give it a shot.

Ok, so we have a 1991 ford explorer that we use as a bush buggy and the other day one of the locking hubs broke. We tried to go to the junkyards but all they have are automatic locking ones where ours are manuals so we got one anyways and of course it doesn't go on all the way. I did some research and found out the the explorer came with automatic ones std. and they they could be converted to manuals with a conversion kit.

So... is it possible to just take off the conversion on the one side (passenger) and put on the automatic one on? Or is there some way to lock the shaft to the wheel short of welding it together. It's just a beater but we need 4wd to get through the bush, it's permanetly locked in 4lo.

Oh by the way they are WARN lockers if that helps no part number or anything.

Thanks again,

Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Explorer Hub

I'd go back and get the other auto hub ... as long as you're gonna de-mod one side ... do the other one too.

Or just weld it all up.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:31 AM
mattyge
Veteran

ok yeah i forgot to say we got the set (2) of the auto locking hubs so how do i remove the conversion or make them fit? It seems that the socket on the autos are narrower than the manuals also does this mean i need vacuum lines or how does that work?

Old 03-29-2007, 02:11 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

No way go manual.

You have a Dana 35 front end, its TTB. I know 2 guys running the manual hubs on them.

You say its locked in in 4low so you could just use a drive flange, which would pretty much be like welding it like you said, it would be locked for good unless you removed the flange. On the other side you could do a manual one and just unlock the one side since its open front I assume.

Not 100% sure but dana 44 parts should work since the 35 and 44 use some of the same parts, I think it is the outers they manly use but not sure.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM
mattyge
Veteran

yeah looking to do something like that so i should just search for drive flanges? I would weld it together but the wheels are aluminum. Does it have to be a certain size drive flange because of the conversion?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Shouldn't have to go, flanges, auto hubs, and manual hubs from explorers, bronco's, ext are all the same.

Quick Reply: Explorer Hub