2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

throttle bodys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
dmdenike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle bodys?

Not new to the forum or Dodges but very new to aftermarket performance mods:

Wondering if a throttle body and a throttle body spacer are the same things?

Whats a "Fastman"

What will the throttle body application improve? (gas mileage?)

How much and is it worth it?

THANKS YA'LL!!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:46 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: throttle bodys?

You already have a throttle body (looks like a carb but it has no gas to it). No ... a spacer is not the same thing. A Fastman is a TB that has been reworked by a company (owned by Dan) called ... The Fastman.

www.thefastman.com

It will improve performance ... and you will love it so much you will KILL your MPG ... wide open throttle all day long.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 AM
dmdenike
Professional

dang....i really wanna get one but i can barley afford gas now.....i need a mod that wont cost me much MPG....so what do u reccomend

Old 03-30-2007, 12:52 AM
kahuna

The spacers are generally considered a waste of money on this forum, although I have never tried one myself.
Here is a link to the Fastman site. http://www.thefastman.com/index.asp
That will be my next mod, and it's easy to do. Basicly, they take a stock throttle body and mill it down to give good air flow going in, which would be a good compliment to your exhaust.
Also, another modto consider would be a PCM programer like the Hypertech, which is what I use, or the superchips, which also gets good reviews. They also let you callibrate your speedometer for tire size. For some years of Ramsthe tire calibration doesn't work. so you would have to do a search on this forum to find out which.
Another good mod would be changing out your rocker arms to either viper arms or roller rockers in 1.7's as opposed to 1.6's which are stock. They will open the valves farther, and in effect, your pcm will think you have a mild cam and give you a little more bottom end HP and torque.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:55 AM
dmdenike
Professional

thanks yall....i reckon ill check out the viper arms or roller rockers..do u have a link here i can find those at?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 AM
kahuna

Here's a link that has some interesting info http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rollerrocker.php

Do a search on google for mopar roller rockers and you'll have a bunch of places to check prices.

Also, I should say that there is some debate as to the prices of roller rockers as compared to stampted steel rockers, like what came stock on your engine, the price difference is drastic. The viper rockers are stampted steel. The rollers reduce strain on the valve train and supposedly gain a little more HP.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:07 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Just hang tight bro. I am getting ready to redo my valvetrain geometry tommorrow (unless I am to hungover, in wich case I'll do it Saturday) . Coming off of the top of my heads will be all the hardware neccessary to make the Harland Sharp 1.7's that I have had wrapped in plastic work. I will be trying to sell them here before I put 'em on ebay. This also means that I will have a freshly set of de-installed Harland Sharp 1.6's without hardware (wich can be had from HS for ~35.00 us).

Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 AM
ShakyJay
Rookie

Generally when you are increasing performance you are sacrificing mpg. If for no other reason than your own inability to lay off the gas. Why else do you want performance if not to use it. It's only natural.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 AM
kahuna

Very true!
That being said, I've gotten 19 to 22 GPM with my truck. ( I will say much of that is due to the bed cover) But I've also gotten 10 to 12 ( I will say that much of that is due to my foot) And I'm nearing 50 years old! Isn't life grand! LOL

Old 03-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Wile C
Professional

i love my fastman tb that i put on my 360...and since i rarely use o/d it books.... zero to sixty in 1 second (so it feels)

Quick Reply: throttle bodys?