2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cel with highflow? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cel with highflow? WTF?

Throwing a p0420 with a high flow cat and new sensors months ago now. The headers were put on three months ago so the cat and sensors have been on for.... I can't even remember to be honest. what would cause it to randomly come on?

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:08 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Is it possible your High Flow was poop and it already crapped out?
Or a dead sensor? Only things I can think of.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what cat you put on there???

Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you put a Magnaflow 94xxx series cat on it, there is an internal company "recall" that Magnaflow has on these, they aren't responding well to ethanol. There is a 99xxx series that should be a direct replacement for it and you should be able to pay only the difference for it. The increased caost is due to the larger converter that contains more precious metals than the 94xxx series. Magnaflow's catalog rates the 94xxx at a GVW of 6000lbs and the 99xxx for 7000lbs.

Just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Darnit! I honestly forget which cat I ended up getting. I think it was the short case one because I didn't need an o2 extension wire. Time to look up the numbers..... SON OF A B! I have the 94109. When I had the cat installed they guy kept the warrenty paper (I guess so there was no paper trail to him). So even if there is a recall I doubt it would do me any good... I can't seem to find my reciept for the cat either.

I looked up the 99's aim. Looks like I would need the 15.5" cat with no o2's (99409HM)? Its going for 100ish on ebay which isn't as bad as I thought. So this is the cat that magnaflow recommended in lou of the 94's or one that you came up with? Just wanting to cross my t's and dot my i's before I drop some more money. Im just surprsied that I haven't heard much about the failures considering they are recommended so often on here. Also this one doesn't say specifically "high flow" Will it still be highflow or am I better off saving a few $ and pulling my stock cat out of storage and having it put back in?

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 02-28-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All magnaflow cat's are highflow compared to the stocker.

Check with your exhaust guy about the warranty. Did you buy the cat from him or Ebay? He should have a record of it, if you have a receipt, that should be enough. If he gives you BS, take your business elsewhere and be sure to let him know it.

As far as the numbers, there should be a direct correlation between the 94xxx and the 99xxx, so the 94109 should have a 99109 equivalent. My exhaust guy also told me that if they raise the ethanol standard again, the 99xxx series may not be enough.

I strongly suggest you buy the cat from a reputable shop as then you have a warranty record to go back too. My exhaust guy is really honest and I'll go back to him for anything I need exhaust. Should I need a new setup in the future, I'll be sure to go back to him. Heck, I'll even pay a bit more and order it from him as I know he'll back it up.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same prob, and Jeg's confirmed it. I have the whole y-pipe direct replacement setup. Have not had the time to call MF yet. But what I have done in the meantime is the spark plug non fouler trick, no CEL now. So now I'm getting lazy about calling MF.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 AM
ophidia
Captain

I've gotten one CEL since I had mine installed in like November. I'll have to see if I can find the receipt to see if it's a 94xxx. I'm sure it is. Hell and ****. Thanks for the info Squirrelz.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:54 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
All magnaflow cat's are highflow compared to the stocker.

Check with your exhaust guy about the warranty. Did you buy the cat from him or Ebay? He should have a record of it, if you have a receipt, that should be enough. If he gives you BS, take your business elsewhere and be sure to let him know it.

As far as the numbers, there should be a direct correlation between the 94xxx and the 99xxx, so the 94109 should have a 99109 equivalent. My exhaust guy also told me that if they raise the ethanol standard again, the 99xxx series may not be enough.

I strongly suggest you buy the cat from a reputable shop as then you have a warranty record to go back too. My exhaust guy is really honest and I'll go back to him for anything I need exhaust. Should I need a new setup in the future, I'll be sure to go back to him. Heck, I'll even pay a bit more and order it from him as I know he'll back it up.
I went to a local store up here at college because they carry them on the shelf and get a 10% discount, then had it installed at a shop at home for $50. I guess I could take a drive up there on monday and see if im at a dead end or not with the store. On second thought the reason I can't find the reciept is because I kept it in the box with the new cat. He threw that box out with the warrenty paper. But I did pay with my debit card so I will see whats up. Aim, thats not exactly what I wanted to hear about the new one may not be enough in the future if they raise to 20% If they did wouldn't that mean we would need new computer flashes, and what would happen to the people with stock catalytic converters (would they fail like these have)?. Well this is rather difficult. I don't know if the non-fouler trick will pass visual inspection and I would rather not chance it. Yeah it will get the cel off, but it doesn't bother me at the moment. An o2 sim would be nice and I could hide it, but... it runs around the same cost as the replacement cat. Also can they tell when they do inspection that there is no variation in the rear sensor? If this cat's efficiency has failed over 6 months, does that mean the ethanol has coated the cat and I should be concerned about it clogging? So many questions... :/ Sorry guys. Just want to make sure I get a grasp on this so I can fix it this time and not be in this position 6 months down the road unexpected again.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Also Squirrels, there is no 94109 equivelant (99109). You said the 94109's were 6000lb. The 99409 is the 7000lb in a 3" and guess is the one you had installed. There is a 12" cat 99009, which is 6375lb. I guess if I am going to get one, just get the 7000lb like you did, and another 3" adapter I guess.

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/990.asp

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 03-01-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: cel with highflow? WTF?