2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Doing some research on my 1998 Ram Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
bigtman07
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing some research on my 1998 Ram Sport

Hey everyone I kind of have an odd question for you all. I hope that maybe you all can help me find out some of the specs on my ram. I am having a hard time believeing some of the online specs that I am finding on my ram. So here goes what I am finding on the net.

#1. Dodge Ram 1500 Sports do not come with a 5.9 V8. Although I have a 5.9 in my 1998 Ram. Vin and all the documentation confirm it.

#2 My 5.9 only has 245 HP. I find it hard to believe because my friends untouched chevy 350 has 290. So I'm a little confused.

#3 Dodge ram sport has a factory 2in lift on it. Hard to believe but I have no clue.

If anyone can shed some light on these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
98BlueSport
Professional

I can answer #3. The sport came with color coded bumpers and different headlights. No 2 inch lift. The Off Road edition Rams came with a 2 inch factory lift

Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's lots of misinformation on the internet, but we here are experts.

1. Models with the Sport option could come with any engine offered at the time. A Sport is nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade, it is not a model, per se. It was basically a trim level and it varied greatly on '99 and up models.
2. HP ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt. They can be crank horsepower (which is a high number) or rear wheel numbers (which are lower). Manufacturers usually quote the higher number even though you may never see that at the wheels. Also, some manufacturers quote the highest number for a specific engine family even if that same engine in a certain model is equipped differently and not capable of achieving those numbers.
3. Again, the Sport option is cosmetic only. There were some RAM 1500 Off Road models available with the Sport option. The Off Road option provided a 2" higher suspension lift, stronger front axle, tow hooks and some other nice touches. You could get this without the Sport option, but most had it. It is the Off Road option and not the Sport option that gets you the suspension upgrades. You could also get a non-Off Road model with the Sport option, but it would have standard suspension.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Thanks guys for the insight on what I actually have. My next question is how do I know if my ram was one of the lucky offroad/sport models? I don't think I have the factory 2 inch lift but I want to make sure before going out and buying a lift and it not fitting. I know that a lift should be pretty universal but from some of the manufacturers websites the description of the lift compatability says "exec. sport." So where do I go to get a lift or anything to make the truck perform better and look better than it already does?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Take your VIN number to a local Dodge dealership. They will input it and print you out a build sheet for the truck. Its should answer most of your questions, it will cost you a few bucks.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Ok i'll try that and see what I come up with. Thanks so much guys. You guys are awesome.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
greenmachine
All Star

My stealership printed mine up for free and in about two minutes.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtman07
Thanks guys for the insight on what I actually have. My next question is how do I know if my ram was one of the lucky offroad/sport models? I don't think I have the factory 2 inch lift but I want to make sure before going out and buying a lift and it not fitting. I know that a lift should be pretty universal but from some of the manufacturers websites the description of the lift compatability says "exec. sport." So where do I go to get a lift or anything to make the truck perform better and look better than it already does?
I have only seen this problem with Off Road models, not Sports. If it is an Off Road model it should say so on the tailgate. It will also have factory tow hooks in front and a front axle that looks very different from a standard Dana 44. Accessories that mount to the front will usually say "excluding Sport models" because the bumper is so different on the '99-up, but suspension items should fit without issue.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 AM
bigtman07
Captain

Awesome!! Thanks for the help I know then mine doesn't have the off road package. So do you guys know anywhere that is good to find appearence parts or know how much actual horsepower the 360 will put out?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well coming from the guy with a sport model. i would suggest going to either fabtech,,, or i would perfer skjacker as that is whats on my truck now. first off. alot of people dont take in account the colors on the vehicle.. if it is a light color, like white. get a set of black rims in a good fasion that you like and it will look alot better...

just go to ebay, type in 1998 dodge ram halo headlight, or halo tail lights, and even fog light or thrid brake light and for not so much money, you get rid of the factory, Sh*t headlights and tail lights, and put in nice led brake lights, and good progector headlight for about 300 bucks for both with shipping... just have to shop alittle bit with eaby and make sure you find a good set, that are plug and play.. no wire cuting needed... this will greatly improve your look...

as for the stock 360. every motor is differant. i only have the 5.2 in mine, but i dont care abotu Hp, i Love torque... one of my favorite sayings... hp is how hard you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you...

Quick Reply: Doing some research on my 1998 Ram Sport