2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what parts should I beefed up on a 46re rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:15 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what parts should I beefed up on a 46re rebuild

As some of you may know, My tranny's shot. I'm still waiting to hear back from my tranny guy on what exactly he's gonna charge me. My main question is, if I end up having him rebuild my tranny, are there certain parts I should beef up? In other words, what parts in the tranny are the weak point in order to prolong my tranny life. Ironically enough, I bought the Sonnax Sure Cure kit from the parts for sale section for $80 a couple of months ago, but I didn't get around to installing it. So need less to say, that will be installed. Oh, and I will have the freeze plugs replaced with brass plugs since those are leaking already. Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Weldor
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything, its a dodge!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:34 AM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by Weldor
Everything, its a dodge!
'Nuff said, right. Sad but true!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i copied this out of another thread.

Originally Posted by blackskyracing
To be completely honest, a simple rebuild with a Borg-Warner kit($300) , a Trans-Go ($100), steel front planet ($90) and a good furnace brazed TC from TCS ($200) should hold just about anything you throw at it.

Heck, my 47RH behind my diesel is handling 422rwhp/903ft-lbs of torque like a champ... Simple rebuild as described above except I have a billet front cover tripple disc converter. So the only difference you would have would be one less OD clutch plate, a single wrap low/reverse band, and the stock style smaller gas converter.

EDIT: forgot to add a sonnax low/reverse servo ($50)... The stock style likes to **** in the bore and break.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Well that saves me some typing... Now to explain a little. The biggest weak points in the dodge transmission is the **** poor VB programming/low line pressure and a poor quality torque converter. The torque converters make a lot of heat and the VB has too much slip programmed into it. Then there`s the things like a plastic accumulator piston, an aluminum input planetary and an unstable low/reverse servo... I`ve never bothered with the Sonnax sure cure as the Tran-Go does most of the same things PLUS reprograms the VB and raises line pressure. But I do ALWAYS add a Sonnax low/reverse servo to have peace of mind that reverse won`t go out randomly over a stock part that should have been replaced with aftermarket.

Also, the Borg-Warner kits come with thinner plates to get one more clutch plate in the clutch packs, which in the case of OD means 33% more holding surface. Oh, almost forgot, if you had problems with the OD planetary burning up DO NOT get the 6 pinion planetary...The reason the stock 4 and 5 pinion planetaries burn up is lack of lube, fact is 5 pinions burn out way more often than the 4 pinions. So a 6 pinion won`t last any longer. The only cure is a new intermediate shaft with updated oiling. This can be bought with the steel front planet for $150 (only $60 more than just the steel front planet).

Anyways, that is about all I would worry about on a stock to even mid level (350-400rwhp) performance build. After that it`s time to look for some diesel trans parts and a billet front cover converter.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 PM
ccd1977
Professional

great thread. has any of this info changed? i have a 2000 ram 1500 4wd i would like to bullet proof the tranny on. if i buy the parts outright and take to shop what all do i need? a list would suffice if possible? thx

Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by ccd1977
great thread. has any of this info changed? i have a 2000 ram 1500 4wd i would like to bullet proof the tranny on. if i buy the parts outright and take to shop what all do i need? a list would suffice if possible? thx

Do a search for MonteC's transmission thread in the FAQ/DIY section. He compiled a great list. And I disagree with post about not upgrading to 6 gear planet set...but that's just me. I also do not agree with the logic for NOT installing the Sonax Sure Cure. I have tested VB with and without. And other things, not "programming" (whatever that meant) need to be done to alter pressure.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

MonteC's list is on page 6 of his thread.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM
gdstock
Legend

(I was too lazy to go look...but I knew it was there.)

Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM
ccd1977
Professional

Originally Posted by kejobe
MonteC's list is on page 6 of his thread.
I found it but its only for someone doing heavy towing everyday. How can I tell what I need with 3.55 gears, 33in tires and all I want to do is road/highway and 4 wheeling?

Are they the parts still the same?

Last edited by ccd1977; 02-10-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: what parts should I beefed up on a 46re rebuild