2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

D60 upgrade o"pinions" thoughts needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question D60 upgrade o"pinions" thoughts needed

Hello all, pipe dreaming on swap out of the 9.25 for a D60 I found: Bunch of questions & wondering if any of you all have done this. Been trying to search for articles but having a problem w/ the search function, it just keeps taking me to a basic page w/ no results. Thanks for any input you all might have. As little as I know here goes. Have a 2000 Ram 1500 4x4, D60 is from a 2001 gas ram 2500 w/ 130,000 on it.

D60 has 4.10 gearing, I'm stock 3.55, so will have to change to 4.10 in the front 44. I plan on running 315/75,R16 toyo mt's. Thoughts? 60mph will basically be my top speed/ at the most where I live, moreso avg spd will be 45 & lower.

Installation of the D60: supposedley width & shock tabs are the same is what I've been told?

New to me D60 has disc brakes, will there be any special " trigonometry" needed for adapting the discs to my brake system? Currently have stock drums.....I failed algebra 3x's

Pinion angle:? will there be a noticible difference that I need to account for between stock 9.25 & D60? Can I use shims? Recommended?

I've heard rumors of a "bastard" joint, sorry moderator, that's the way it was described to me, to match up the drive shaft, ujoint & D60. I have no idea what I'm talking about on this one, just what has been told to me.

Drive shaft: shorten?/ re-balance?

Will stock springs & spring plates from my 1/2 ton work ok? I know I'll probably need new/longer ubolts. I plan on going to California & getting new springs from Deaver customed to this setup, but for the time being will be using blocks to allow the tires & get me there until the I see Deaver.

Will be running 16x8x5.5 rims on the front & will have to change the rear for the 8 bolt pattern there. That shouldn't be a prob no?

Being the idiot I am, I totalled my other old 98 dodge..4wheelin, & deep river = submerged on it's side dodge. I have abunch of money in the suspension, on the dead dodge & my plan is to swap everything out, minus the deaver springs that I will be putting on. In the front of my old dodge I have a HD Thuren track bar, Thuren coil springs (about 2.5"+ lift), thuren Hd steering setup w/fox steer stabie, & king 2.5's all around. I'm going to be running spacer lift on the front, until I get this truck down there to do the swap, to accomodate the tires & etc.

This thread is way to long already so I'll stop here. Appreciate any comments & advice you might have. Going to try & keep searching for the related threads. Thanks
-N-

Last edited by trigger29; 05-11-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any reason why you wouldn't take the front axle out of the 2500 as well? 4.10's with 35's will actually be less gearing than ideal. To find a factory power band again you would use 4.56's. But I understand the 4.10's are already in the rear end.

The 2500's use a 3" wide leaf spring out back, while your 1500 has 2.5" springs. If I was you I would fab to make the wider springs work, not the smaller ones. The angle of the pinion should not be an issue, providing your leaf spring shackles/hangers retain their factory angles after you get done fabbing for 3" wide springs.

The driveshaft will indeed need to be shortened. You might consider taking the one out of the 2500 to use (if it's the right length), or use the ujoint end to weld on to yours so that you don't need the adapter joint in there (one more piece to break).

I assume you meant you are using a 8x6.5 bolt pattern, that's what dodges (and pre '98 fords and pre '11 chevy's) use. And you will need to change the front for that, not the rear. There are adapters available that you can use until you find a suitable 60 front end to swap in.

On the topic of brakes. I would think that you could just plug your fitting into the caliper (might need a different fitting...) and go, but don't quote me on that. Also, ABS may or may not easily swap over, depending on the differences...

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 05-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Default D60 upgrade o"pinions" thoughts needed2

Thanks 2x1972 for your input: I missed the bus on the front 60, the guy sold it like in 4hrs. If I'm not careful I'll miss the bus for the rear too, LOL. Am headed there first thing in the morn to have a look at it.

If I can get the upper spring plates from the 60 I'd like to make those work on what I have until I can get over to California to have Deaver set me up with....the 3" custom springs? How does that sound? I mean I'd pretty much head that way after the swap was done & the truck was safe to make the trip.

The rims I have on my dead dodge are: 16x8, 5.5 bolt pattern, w/ 5" of BS & I have the 315/75r16's on em. Am I missing something? I understand on the rear 8 bolt pattern 8x6.5 for the D60 & having to deal w/ that issue.

Unfort, the DS on the dodge w/ the 60 is a 2door short bed, mine is a quad cab short.
I hope so on the brakes, it kinda makes sense really. Will look at the ABS deal tomorrow. Thanks again 2x1972 for your thoughts. All the best! -N-

Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Okay I get what's going on a little better now. Yes I would recommend swapping the 3/4 ton suspension over and going from there. Sounds like you have stock wheels right now? My bad on that misunderstanding. How about taking the stock rear wheels with the D60 and putting your tires on on them? If they are still there...

I think your best option on the driveshaft is to 1) IF the tcase yolk fits into your 231, have that one lengthened, or 2) have the u-joint side from the 2500 driveshaft welded onto your original shaft when you have it shortened. The latter should be the most cost effective solution, as shortening requires no new material, the shaft just needs to be cut, welded, and balanced. Having them put the bigger yoke on it shouldn't cost anything more. I am against the idea of an adapter in there, as it is just one more thing to break on the trail.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Default D60 upgrade o"pinions" thoughts needed3

Unfort stock wheels are not avail. Yeah I like your idea of option #2 on the drive shaft too. I don't know maybe I'm crazy for wanting to do this swap, I've read on here b4 of others doing it but am still having no luck finding info on it. My orig plan was to just do the lift & rear springs at Deaver & keep my axles...then I saw this D60 for 500bucks...gd price? I plan to use the truck for towing in the coming year or so & the roads are so lame where I'm at, so.....I'm not a crazy 4wheeler..most of the time, so I don't know. Gonna give Deaver a call & run my plan by him as well. Have to take my Dad to a Ron Paul convention tomorrow LOL,so, I'm gonna swing by the guy w/ the 60 & check everything out in person in the morning & make the decision for sure. Just did the chain, water pump, t stat,....& then had to dump everything again on discovery of bad freeze plugs, wish I would've saw that the first go round, doh.. guess what I'm saying is, have basic mech skills sortof but the axle upgrade is a new realm for me for sure. Cross fingers on the 2 freeze plugs hidden by the trans. If they start weeping, it's a sign that a viper trans is in my future, LOL. Thanks again -N-

Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 PM
trigger29
Amateur

Well: Deaver was closed, so will have to call on Monday. Found info on rims, no prob there but will have to settle w/ 4.5" back spacing, for the 2500 d60 they don't do 5" back spacing for some reason.= stick out 1/2 " more than front.

Am thinking, about trying to get the spring perches/ mounts off of the truck w/ the D60, cut my 2.5" spring perches off & weld those on?? Still would like to make something else work instead of doing that.

Again, I'm an idiot: 2X1972 the D60 has a 4.11 rear end, NOT 4.10 & it is LSD, is 500 a good price? Anyone....anyone? Thanks all.

Last edited by trigger29; 05-11-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by trigger29
Well: Deaver was closed, so will have to call on Monday. Found info on rims, no prob there but will have to settle w/ 4.5" back spacing, for the 2500 d60 they don't do 5" back spacing for some reason.= stick out 1/2 " more than front.
That's fine, it won't be noticable or cause any problems.

Am thinking, about trying to get the spring perches/ mounts off of the truck w/ the D60, cut my 2.5" spring perches off & weld those on?? Still would like to make something else work instead of doing that.
That is the best plan in my opinion. That's what I would do.

Again, I'm an idiot: 2X1972 the D60 has a 4.11 rear end, NOT 4.10 & it is LSD, is 500 a good price? Anyone....anyone? Thanks all.
$500 is reasonable. 4.11 is the same thing a 4.10, just rounded off differently. I have 4.09's in the front and 4.11's in the rear of my '72, makes no difference whatsoever.

I think that this is a worthwhile swap. Especially if you complement it with a 60 front end later on when you find the right deal. Another thing to think about is possibly grabbing the transfer case off the 2500. you should have an np231, and it should have an np241, which has bigger planetaries, a wider chain, etc. If they both have a v8 it should bolt right up. Food for thought

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 PM
trigger29
Amateur

Goood idea, will ask about that in the AM, thanks

Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Default here and on the fence

Well..for $800bones, I can get the D60 rear, with the 241DHD transfer case, & both drive shafts. Any thoughts?

He said he'll also throw in a needed proportional valve for tuning the rear disc brakes.

2 questions: The D60 is 4.10/4.11 & is LSD, can anyone confirm that all I would need is a ring & pinion if I wanted to change to 4:56 gearing? He seems to think I could use the internals of the Lsd & the same spool & just change the ring & pinion??? I know notta.

2nd question: Has anyone changed there front Dana 44 to a 4:56?? Is this possible?

If I pull the trigger on this I'm commited..to say the least. Thanks everyone for the expertise!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You received alot of great advice from 2x1972.

Call up a local differential shop. Are you really in Costa Rica? If so, then call Randy's Ring and Pinion for direct questions. You'll learn alot!!

Here's this thread to help you out some also: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ram-axles.html

asfaik, the answer to first question is yes, only need 4.56 r&p plus the master install kits.

2nd question: yes ppl have changed the front d44 gears. Tons of threads here regarding gear changes.

Instead of searching for this common swap of dodge axles, you've now made another separate thread. That will only cause a disconnect in what you are accomplishing, what you have learned/or not, what others have previously suggested to you, etc.

Get to work

Quick Reply: D60 upgrade o"pinions" thoughts needed