2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The dreaded P1740 Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 PM
jtridgerunner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The dreaded P1740 Code

Since first receiving the code i have replaced the TCC soleniod, TPS, changed fluid and filter, and adjusted the shifter linkege. Nothing has helped. When i first replaced the TCC soleniod it helped for a while but soon went back to the rpms jumping 200-300 at 50-60 mphs. While replacing the TCC soleniod i changed the fluid and filter. Then about 2 weeks later i replaced the TPS. Currently when i reset the check engine light the truck will run and shift fine for a while (the other day i went 70miles before i had a problem) then the check engine light will come on while driving and the rpm jumps will soon follow. I then can reset the light and run again a while shifting fine before the light comes on and rpm jump reapper. So heres by questions:
1)Could my new tcc soleniod be bad? If so how would i know? I bought the solniod from NAPA and they will not exhcange it for another one so that i can see if mine is bad.
2) Could by torque conventor be bad even though the trans shifts fine for many miles?
3) Anymore answers to the code? I have read the about a 5 ohm wire grounding out in the trans. but i cant not find any information on how to check or find the wire.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: The dreaded P1740 Code

I know you replaced the solenoid, but did you also replace the matching sensor? That is also a common cause of this code apparently (or so I was told when I had this code awhile back).

Old 11-17-2006, 06:12 PM
jtridgerunner

No i didnt replace the sensor that goes with the soleniod. I am not sure what your talking about. Can you tell me more information about the sensor.
By the way my truck is a 1997 2500 5.9 4x4. If that helps anyone help me.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

There is a sensor that is attached to the valve body along with the solenoid. It is how the solenoid communicates with the PCM so it knows when to release the converter clutch.
Also, have you checked to see if you maybe have a bad electrical connection to the solenoid.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 PM
djk69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem with my truck check out the thread i started on here a while back

p1740

Old 11-17-2006, 07:43 PM
jtridgerunner

i am planning on this weekend dropping the pan once again to check for loose connections and to see if some how oil has seeped into the conections. At that time i will look for the sensor. Does anyone know the cost of the sensor or has a similar problem with the sensor afther changing the soleniod. My TCC soleniod has 3 plugs to go to different places inside the pan.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

The sensor may be part of the solenoid, i'm not sure. I was under the impression it was seperate. When mine was acting up, I was told I needed to replace both the solenoid and the matching sensor. It went away on it's own though, so I have never changed anything.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
jtridgerunner

My torque convertor was shot. The clutch packing went through out the transmission so i got to do a complete rebuild.

Quick Reply: The dreaded P1740 Code