1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New HID Projector Headlights Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New HID Projector Headlights Project

A while back a friend of mine gave me a set of eagles eyes 1 piece headlights that he didn't want anymore (long story), so I decided that I'd put some hid projectors into them.

I currently have the projectors mounted in both lights. I really just need to figure out how I'm going to seal the back of the housings back up (I'm thinking pvc and a rubber cap), and what I'm doing about those leds. The halos are definitely going. I haven't been able to get much work done on these recently since I have finals very soon, but hopefully I'll be able to finish them in the next few weeks.

Here's what the lights look like test-fitted on my truck before I started taking them apart. Didn't have an h7 bulb to try in the low beam

Since the housings were free I wanted to keep the cost of everything else down as well, so I bought a pair of as-is projectors ($60 vs $150 for a guaranteed and warrantied pair) from theretrofitsource.com that have some imperfections, which usually just means the shield inside is out of adjustment. It took me about 20 minutes to tune them to be damn near perfect, but unless you're feeling brave I'd stick with the guaranteed ones.

They started out looking pretty crappy like this. The shield was too high and leaving too much of the high beam exposed.

This is the inside of the projector. The red arrows point to the 2 tabs that you can bend to adjust the height of the shield.

20 minutes later and they look like this

The blue color on the cutoff is due to how the optics work in a projector. The beam itself is plain white.

Since the projector isn't going to be centered in the headlight where the hole in the fender is I am going to have to make the hole bigger. This picture is a major over exaggeration now that I measured things, but you get the idea. I'm really only going to have to expand the hole about an inch to the side.

To get the headlights open you just have to bake them at 225 degrees for about 20min, and then they come right open. Just make sure they aren't too close to the elements and aren't touching the rack.

Stripped everything out of the inside of the headlight

Cut the hole in the back of the housing for the projector

I tapped threads into the mounting holes on the projector

Projector roughly in place. The screws allow me to have rotational and vertical adjustment of the projector in addition to the adjustments on the headlights themselves.

I got a pair of imperfect iris shrouds from theretrofitsource.com since barely any of them will be visible anyway. Here's what's left of them after all the cutting I had to do.

Here's roughly what they'll look like.

Again this is still in progress.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's talent right there! They look great and I've thought about getting some AE's too.

SJ02

Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM
that_guy
Champion

Thanks. I think think these eagles eyes are really the only decent looking aftermarket lights for our trucks. All the rest look kinda ricey if you ask me.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Option Racing make some decent products for the truck. I got myself a set that are fairly similar to stock yet much brighter. The also have led turn signals. I will post a pic over the weekend if I get a chance, they look good on the truck, I mean I have some things I'm not so happy about, but overall very satisfied with them. Those headlights look good on your truck though, and nice wok as always.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 AM
that_guy
Champion

Yeah, go ahead and post up those pics. The more oem-style 1 piece ones don't look bad at all. If I was going to buy aftermarket lights again I'd still get these eagles eyes ones that were given to me since they look nice and have a separate high beam bulb so that I can still have the flash to pass function; right now I only have the bi-xenon projector for high and low beam and the hids take a few seconds to warm up.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM
alwaysclean19
Professional

Alright here is the pics of the new headlights on the truck. I like the look, now if i can just get the white led bar to function independently from the blinker...

And here is from the front.

Old headlights can be seen in the sig. As soon as I get the truck back into summer mode I will take pics again with the other bumper!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
that_guy
Champion

Those do look good, as long as the leds last.

I just finished up my new headlights last night. There are still a few little tweaks I need to make, but for the most part I'm done.

Only had one side installed. (only daytime pic I have right now)

Bi-xenon and halogen high beams. (The light from the xenons is white, but it just looks blue on the camera for some reason.)

Old 04-29-2013, 01:52 PM
that_guy
Champion

Here are some more pictures. I know they're not that great since I took them with my phone, it was raining, and I was cold and wet from being in the rain for several hours.

Had to widen the hole in the fender so that the projectors would clear. Sprayed undercoating on the exposed metal from the cuts.

Driver's side installed

Lens freshly baked and installed. The dirt you can see is on the outside of the lens.

A crappy pic of the low beam. ~15ft

A crappy pic of the halogen and bixenon high beams. ~15ft

Cutoff on the garage door. ~15ft I don't know why the driver's side hotspot isn't very visible in the pictures.

Halogen and bixenon high beams on garage door. ~15ft

Close up of low beam.

I wired the leds to be parking lights instead of turn signals. The incandescent 3157 bulb is still park/turn and I wired the sidemarker so it acts as a turn signal during the day flashes in opposite phase from the turn signals when the parking lights are on.

Low beam. The blue in the picture is due to the optics at the edge of the beam, the rest of the beam is white.

Last edited by that_guy; 04-29-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

hmmm, i like this, got links to the entire parts list? and is all the wiring plug and play with stock?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
hmmm, i like this, got links to the entire parts list? and is all the wiring plug and play with stock?
Here are the links. The links are all to new items, but used ones can be found for much cheaper on the hidplanet forum's for sale section and on ebay. The prices next to the links are what I paid for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-04-DODGE-DAKOTA-98-03-DURANGO-2X-CCFL-HALO-LED-HEAD-LIGHTS-99-00-01-02-BLACK-/130834714133?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ADurango&hash=item1e765b4e15&vxp=mtr I got mine for free from a friend

Matsu****a Ballasts $90 on hidplanet forum

FX-R Projectors theretrofit source will sell you "value" projectors for $60 (that's what I got)

Your choice of shrouds I went with "value" Irises for $20 from theretrofitsource

9007 Relay Harness $10 on ebay

Your choice of D2S Bulbs Must be D2S for these (and most) projectors. I bought a used pair of D2S bulbs for $25 on the hidplanet forum.

The factory wiring doesn't get changed at all. The harness just plugs onto it and then another wire goes straight to the battery (the factory wiring just becomes the relay trigger).

I went down into the bowels of the parking garage earlier and got some more pics.

Unfortunately I discovered that the passengers side bulb has something wrong with it and isn't as bright as it should be (the driver's side is fine though). I guess that's what I got for buying used bulbs.

Quick Reply: New HID Projector Headlights Project