3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Dodge Durango WILL NOT START

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM
JoshuaKravitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 Dodge Durango WILL NOT START

okay...
Dodge Durango worked fine until the 50,000 mile mark. All service has been done through dodge dealers and the car has been maintained according to the manual.

The Durango does not start- originally it was not a big deal, it would not recognize the key, but now it has killed the battery - we had to replace it already- then they said we needed to replace the key module. Also the MPG has dropped from 24 to 18.

Now it appears that the fuel pump is the issue as well. If you lay under the car you can hear it running even with the car off.

Sometimes the car will start, then immediately stop, almost as if it was a carbuereted engine.

Once the engine starts it runs FINE! BUT... the car is no longer reliable because it is so hard to start.

I am certain that many others have this issue, and I am sure it is an expensive fix since the dealers have been reluctant to tell us exactly what is wrong, instead replacing small parts.

I THINK THIS MAY BE A SAFETY ISSUE. IT SEEMS THAT DODGE BELIEVES THAT THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER OUR WARRANTY AND EXTENDED WARRANTY. PLEASE REPLY IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE, AND PLEASE REPLY IF YOU FIND A FIX.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuel pump is still running with the car off, the fuel pump is not the problem. It's what ever is powering it when it shouldn't be being powered. Sounds like an electrical issue. If the fuel pump is constantly running, it will explain the dead battery, as well as premature failure of the fuel pump, which could be causing the hard start issue. You might put a fuel pump in it and it will start fine. But if there is something that is still keeping it running with the car off, then you'll be in the same boat again. Either way, this should be under warranty.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:03 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear man...good luck!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 AM
V for Victory
All Star

Electrical problems are the worst to figure out, good luck

Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM
dwolson2
Professional

Check the fuel pump relay. Rarely, but sometimes, they get fused closed keeping power to your pump.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 AM
IEWRX
Professional

I have a thread here on my 11 with about the same symptoms as you are listing with the exception of the fuel pump constantly running. On Monday it is going back in the have the TIPM replaced, basically the fuse block. There is a potential issue with the contact of the fuel pump relay and not sending the signal to produce enough fuel pressure to start the vehicle. They checked for corrosion and any evidenve of a mouse or something chewing on a wire and when they found neither, they ordered the $1100 replacement TIPM. I like you have 50K milage and am out of the bumper to bumper 3/36 warranty but did pay for an extended with all the new electrical gizmos on these vehicles. It will be covered for me for my $100 deductable.
From reading some here on these forums this is becoming a more common problem. There are some more details in my thread but I would be sure to document things if you do not have an extended warranty to cover you.

Here is the link to my thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...wd-issues.html

Last edited by IEWRX; 05-13-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 PM
BLFar
Default same problems different day

I had the same problems in the same order. As soon as my 2011 Crew hit 50,000 miles I started having problems. I was the same way had it serviced at the dealership as directed by the mannual. First problem was it didn't want to remote start then the push button start would not work after a few days putting the key in would not always work. When I took it in they said I needed to change the battery in my key fob. A few days later that did not even work. The dealership then told me I needed to update my computer system. It seems every 3-5,000 miles I was in the shop for something else. I have had the system updated 2 times; my fuel pump was running constantly so they told me I needed to replace the fuel filter neck and cap. I also had to replace the TIPM because it would not start again. The last straw was the transmission started messing up. It would not shift like it was suppose to and sometimes the RPM would go up to 6,000 before it would shift. I was told that there was a leak and it had leaked into my transmission cooler; at the same time I had to replace 2 exhaust manifold phasers. Let's just say after all this I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty because when I traded it off for a 2013 Honda Pilot I got $300 back from the warranty for my down payment. When I emailed Dodge about it they told me thank you for the input and they will send it to their design team.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by IEWRX
I have a thread here on my 11 with about the same symptoms as you are listing with the exception of the fuel pump constantly running. On Monday it is going back in the have the TIPM replaced, basically the fuse block. There is a potential issue with the contact of the fuel pump relay and not sending the signal to produce enough fuel pressure to start the vehicle. They checked for corrosion and any evidenve of a mouse or something chewing on a wire and when they found neither, they ordered the $1100 replacement TIPM. I like you have 50K milage and am out of the bumper to bumper 3/36 warranty but did pay for an extended with all the new electrical gizmos on these vehicles. It will be covered for me for my $100 deductable.
From reading some here on these forums this is becoming a more common problem. There are some more details in my thread but I would be sure to document things if you do not have an extended warranty to cover you.

Here is the link to my thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...wd-issues.html
THE TIPM IS NOT THE FUSE BLOCK JUST AN FYI
Originally Posted by BLFar
I had the same problems in the same order. As soon as my 2011 Crew hit 50,000 miles I started having problems. I was the same way had it serviced at the dealership as directed by the mannual. First problem was it didn't want to remote start then the push button start would not work after a few days putting the key in would not always work. When I took it in they said I needed to change the battery in my key fob. A few days later that did not even work. The dealership then told me I needed to update my computer system. It seems every 3-5,000 miles I was in the shop for something else. I have had the system updated 2 times; my fuel pump was running constantly so they told me I needed to replace the fuel filter neck and cap. I also had to replace the TIPM because it would not start again. The last straw was the transmission started messing up. It would not shift like it was suppose to and sometimes the RPM would go up to 6,000 before it would shift. I was told that there was a leak and it had leaked into my transmission cooler; at the same time I had to replace 2 exhaust manifold phasers. Let's just say after all this I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty because when I traded it off for a 2013 Honda Pilot I got $300 back from the warranty for my down payment. When I emailed Dodge about it they told me thank you for the input and they will send it to their design team.
[b] Sorry to see you go but I understand pentastar???]

Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Yvilla

My 2012 Durango Crew is also doing this. It has done it a handful of times. I have push button start, and when I go to start the vehicle it sounds like it wants to, but just doesn't.
USUALLY after the 3rd or 4th attempt it will start. But one time I was stuck at a store for 30 minutes trying to get it started. I took out the button and also tried with my key. No luck. Kind of embarrassing to be driving a nice, newer car and it won't start.
This morning I went to start it, and it tried then died. So I tried again, and it just tried and tried, AND TRIED. It scared me, so I push the stop button, then tried again and started fine.
Nowadays I'm afraid to turn it off....I usually leave it running when I have to run in someplace.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM
phengmeister

50k miles? Ok, so I got 13k left. 2013 Pilot is sounding like a VERY good choice right now. But I only got 3 years and under $19k left on the loan...

Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge Durango WILL NOT START