3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Dodge Durango WILL NOT START

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
ak18
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well....the last couple days...I ran into similar symptoms. Hissing noise underneath the car once the car has been driver for some time....the next day, car is having a tough time starting, CEL on...and this morning, I need to jumped start the car. Brought it to the dealer...explained the symptoms..and advised service rep at local Dodge dealer on what I found in this forum..printed for him...and he didn't even want to look at it.

He told me it's all people's opinion..and he will need to follow procedure. 1st he needs to replicate the issue...problem is..the hissing noise only can be heard after the car has been driven for a while. I told him about possible faulty fuel pump, TIPM and WIN module...and he seems to be offended by me presenting him what I found on this GREAT FORUM!!!!

Now I guess I have to wait and see what they found...I'll bet they said they can't replicate...

Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Originally Posted by ak18
............ Brought it to the dealer...explained the symptoms..and advised service rep at local Dodge dealer on what I found in this forum..printed for him...and he didn't even want to look at it.

He told me it's all people's opinion..and he will need to follow procedure. 1st he needs to replicate the issue...problem is..the hissing noise only can be heard after the car has been driven for a while. I told him about possible faulty fuel pump, TIPM and WIN module...and he seems to be offended by me presenting him what I found on this GREAT FORUM!!!! ..
I've had that happen. Service writers sometimes resent an educated customer, perhaps because they can't replace a bunch of parts that don't need replacing!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Dango84
Amateur

I had the same issue happen regarding providing information from my own research. After multiple visits and going through the process, in the end, the solution was what i first suggested.

At the same time, they have to go through the process in order to rule out possibilities. I dont fault the service tech for that. Fault the bureacracy.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:24 PM
ak18
Amateur

Bureaucracy sucks! The technician couldn't replicate the hissing noise hence they returned the car back to me. CEL they said due to low voltage which they cleared. I asked why the battery died then...they said it happened?????? yeah right!....

I told him if I hear it the hissing noise...and I quickly swing by and ask him to hear it..does it help? he said no...the technician himself need to be the one who needs to replicate.

So with that...any suggestion how to ask them to replicate the issue and test if the TIPM, fuel sensor etc faulty or not?

Thanks all!

Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 AM
ak18
Amateur

It happened again tonight..the hissing noise...after the car has been driven a total of 130+ miles and refueled the gas to full tank. I can be certain it's the fuel pump like everyone had suspected...because when I pull the fuse for "fuel pump output", the hissing noise stopped.

question is...I don't know how to re-create the issue and I'm sure the technician also wouldn't be able to recreate if it requires them to drive 130+ miles..

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks

Old 06-08-2014, 04:24 PM
woblik
Veteran

I have a 12 rt with 42k, and noticed recently when i shut it off, i hear a high pitched whine, like an electric whine noise that you hear when you turn it to key on, for about 5-15 seconds. I havent had any issues with not starting or a dead battery. Do you think this is the same problem? Its not a hissing, its more a whining

Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ak18
It happened again tonight..the hissing noise...after the car has been driven a total of 130+ miles and refueled the gas to full tank. I can be certain it's the fuel pump like everyone had suspected...because when I pull the fuse for "fuel pump output", the hissing noise stopped.

question is...I don't know how to re-create the issue and I'm sure the technician also wouldn't be able to recreate if it requires them to drive 130+ miles..

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing the hissing noise. Is the noise only occurring after vehicle is driven a number of miles? I would recommend to take it back to the dealer if possible while the noise is occurring so they can hear it. The dealer should have the technician assess the noise at the time you arrive with the vehicle. If you have any issues at that time, please PM me directly. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Next time it does this take video of the sound of the fuel pump on then continue on up and pull the fuse causing the pump to shut off. Take it back to the dealer. Maybe then they will commit to repair or at least send you home with the event recording device.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Roughride2

I come from a Chrysler family. My father and brother both worked for Chrysler until retirement, and that's all I have ever owned/driven. I will have to say that I am extremely disappointed at how Chrysler has handled this TIPM issue to date. They KNOW their supplier was providing defective units (they have since gone to a new OEM), and they KNOW the issue is the fuel pump relay on the control board of the TIPM (fails either open - no fuel, or closed - won't shut off), and they KNOW that it possibly impacts every 2011-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango on the road. Yet they have not owned it and made it right for the thousands of loyal customers out there. When my TIPM was finally diagnosed, I had to fight with their customer service to have it repaired at their cost (my issues started before the warranty expired, but the first dealership was unable to replicate it for over a year). And to make matters worse, the TIPMs were on a National Backorder (high rate of failure) and I had to wait nearly 90 days for one.

The risks associated with a TIPM failure are not trivial either. It's not just that the vehicle will not start or will drain the battery. The failure could occur while driving, cutting the fuel supply and causing the vehicle to stall on the freeway or while pulling out into heavy traffic. I know this for a fact, because it happened to my wife TWICE while we were waiting for our TIPM to come off of backorder. Our dealer was not given authority to provide us with a rental car until the vehicle was rendered an "Off the Road" failure. The third time it acted up, we just left it at the dealership and told them it could sit in their lot until the TIPM arrived. We did finally receive a rental car, but only after the replacement TIPM had arrived at the dealership (for 1 day).

Given the negative exposure GM is receiving with their ignition switch and other safety recall issues, I would think an automaker would be much more sensitive to a potential safety hazard such as a vehicle randomly shutting off while driving, wouldn't you? I know there is a class action lawsuit in the works for this issue, but that only makes the lawyers money. Chrysler should step up and own this issue, and do the right thing for their customers. Instead, they have crippled the dealers by having them make their customers jump through hoops trying to prove the defect is real, and in some cases costing them thousands of dollars with unnecessary component swap-outs (fuel pumps, WIN modules, etc) that do not address this particular problem.

I will step off my soap box now, but this has been biting at me for a while now and I get ill every time I see someone else going through the same issues I dealt with knowing the issue is as simple as REPLACE THE TIPM!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 PM
ak18
Amateur

My car has about 33500 miles...pretty much 1500 miles left on the original warranty. Couple days ago, as it happened to us again, we recorded the incident with our smartphone...even to the point of pulling the fuse of the fuel pump output. Next morning, brought it to the dealer..tried to show the recording...the service rep refused to look at and told my wife to bring it back when the she heard the noise again. Luckily (not so if you think about the back and forth trip) when she got home, the hissing sound started....so right away, she drove back to the dealer..demanded the service technician to come out and hear it himself...which he did. Based on their diagnosis, they said it's a faulty "FUSE BOX" and surprisingly..they said it would be replaced in the day or so (is this same as TIPM??)

Not sure if this is solution..but that's what they agreed to repair.

With 1500 miles to go before warranty expired, now we're faced with the dilemma of selling the car and get something else (other than dodge) or get extended warranty (quoted $2200 for 3 years, $3500 for 5 years...but from what i heard, it didn't even cover the electrical).

This is frustrating

Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge Durango WILL NOT START