3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Flowmaster-vs- Magnaflow -vs- Borla -vs-MBRP -vs- ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:41 AM
Brian9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Hendirx: I noticed a bump in acceleration when I went from stock mufflers to magnaflow on my corvette. I am hoping it I notice the same on the Dakota when I install the muffler on it. I do know its not as good as a borla or corsa exhaust thought but a lot cheaper.

@ Atlair the magnaflows on my corvette have a bit of a drone at some rpm's (usually only when feathering the gas pedal) but I attributed that to my vette being convertible, having true dual exhaust with two mufflers and them being so close to the cabin. I hope that is not the case with them on the dakota, but reading your reply you stated that the cherry bomb muffler rusted out in 2 years and that the mbrp exhaust has a 3 year corrosion warranty please take into consideration that a mangaflow muffler has a lifetime corrosion warranty.

OEM Muffler:
beforeside.jpg

Magnaoflow:
afterside.jpg

OEM Muffler:
beforeunder.jpg

Magnaflow:
afterunder.jpg

The magnaflow mufflers still look exactly the same after 3 years of being on the vette.

That shows alot about magnaflow quality, but you cant really see the muffler on the dakota like you can the vette however you know you have a lifetime corrosion warranty. But if after i put the magnaflow on my truck if it drones to much I have no probelm looking for another muffler.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I think if I do over again, I am going to try MBRP. I have run MBRP on my sleds since the beginning and but when I did the truck exhaust I never gave it a thought. Plus I was looking for something new after trying Magnaflows on my last Dak and having MBRP on the sleds.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
rengnath
Champion

I love my MBRP! It never becomes deafening inside the truck, and the only drone that occurs is around 1950 RPM. Plus, cost wise its the only system I could find within the $500 pricerange that was stainless. And, if you look at competitor's exhaust systems they are made from T-409 stainless which will show surface rust. MBRP has a pro-series available in T-304 stainless which will never rust.

MBRP is also a performance exhaust system. The muffler is straight through with some absorbant material around the outside. For how straight through the muffler is, it suprises me that it isnt louder. Heres a shot through the muffler:
0216002150.jpg

Also, this is the only exhaust I could find with the side exits except for flowmaster (which I refused to put on my truck) and gibson extreme which is supposed to be extremly loud.
0224001410d.jpg

Maybe Ill do an updated sound clip for my exhaust system tonight:

Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Here is my Borla exhaust. Almost no drone inside and awesome sound! I get a lot of looks and compliments for the sound!!

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...t=MOV00463.flv

Old 07-17-2010, 09:20 AM
steelyd
Rookie

I had Borla Stock on my '05 Daytona. They sucked. I went went Magnaflow with side -exit in front of wheel. Great outside sound and no drone above 40 mph.U won't go wrong with Magnaflow.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

but what model of magnaflow? are they all the same? thing about flowmaster website, they go into great detail describing the sound from each series and type. I can't seem to find that with magnaflow's website.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Brian9
Veteran

Keaton the one that was sent in my kit was: 12198

It is magnaflows universal single inlet/dual out performance muffler for truck/suvs.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
lmrjason
Veteran

nobody has thrush exhaust on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnsdCcPp3Og

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
but what model of magnaflow? are they all the same? thing about flowmaster website, they go into great detail describing the sound from each series and type. I can't seem to find that with magnaflow's website.
I have the magnaflow # 12256 installed, with both resonators removed. It is a single out. Sounds really good to me, not too loud. There is some interior noise, I guess all noise is called drone, but it 's not too bad.

Finished it off with a nice magnaflow tip, #35204. I like seeing the engraved 'Magnaflow' peeking out.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster-vs- Magnaflow -vs- Borla -vs-MBRP -vs- ???