3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

School me or point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me or point me in the right direction

Looking for some up front answers to all my random silly newbie 3 Gen Dakota questions: If there is an FAQ that has all of these please let me know where to go.

Thanks

What is the purpose and reason behind a leveling kit, is there a difference in kits quality/price wise?

What makes a TRX4 off road diff from a regular SLT or Laramie Dakota?

Are there simple/low cost engine upgrades to do for more power/preformance/fuel mileage?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Ok I am not sure if those are in the FAQ section or not, going to explain them here anyway.

#1 A leveling kit is a spacer that sits on top of your struts (or inside on the coil spring) that lifts the front of the truck, thus allowing slightly larger tires and making the truck sit level. (depending on size). As far as quality and price wise, I can't answer that. Most of us are running a 1.5" kit, some run 2" (which is the most I would go on a 4x4 due to extreme angles of stuff). There is a 2.5" kit as well.

#2 These are the difference for a TRX4: Standard options include Fender Flares, Body colored grill and bumpers, 9.25 rear end w/ 3.92 gearing, Limited slip Differential, Slightly taller/ larger tires (265/70/17), TRX4 unique package rims ( I think ?) and thicker sway bars.

#3 I am not too about engine upgrades for you because I have the V6 but as far as performance and mileage; synthetic oils and fluids, a Cold air intake ($), drop in high flow air filter, free flowing exhaust, superchips or other programmer ($$). That's it off the top of my head. I hope this helps

Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

I notice a majority on here who have leveling kits have the TM brand, but I don't know why that is. Also, if you decide to take on that project while you're at it read up on the threads about shocks which OEM wise suck on our trucks and pick a brand, might as well replace those while you're at it.

Swap out your plugs to AutoLite 3922's for your H.O. engine. They are cheapies at like $2 a plug but have been found to be best for our engines, you just have to swap them out more often being copper plugs (@ 12~15k miles on them I understand). Worth it though. With this for less than $20 you get less engine idle shake (sometimes elimination), may get gas mileage gain, and some performance (don't think you gain HP's but lose hesitations and such). Someone said the H.O. gap is .38 instead of .40 and they got a new hood sticker from Dodge. But the Picture included is now broken so I donno...

Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will throw in my 2 cents here that if you decide to put on a front leveling kit swap out the shocks for Monroe's or Rancho's (not sure if anyone else has made front shocks for our trucks yet) at the same time. You'll thank yourself after, the factory struts are awful.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 PM
DM_kota
Professional

yeah not totally sold on a leveling kit, not seeing much of the reasoning too, I can still fit the size tire i want on it 245/75/16's so i am going to put them on.

Thanks for the info fellas. will get the autolites as soon as i get it going on an oil change.

i got my build sheet, is there a difference b/t heavy duty shocks and struts and normal on the Build sheet????

SCDS Luxury Steering Wheel
SDBS Heavy Duty Suspension
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SH8P Delete Rear Stabilizer Bar

or what is with the delete the rear stabilizer bar, is that a good thing or bad?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

All of our build sheets say heavy duty shocks, pure BS.

The leveling kit makes some of us happy who really dislike the 'raked' look of the Daks.

If you have 8" wide wheels (most of the Dodge OEM wheels are 8"), you might be better off with 265/70/16, which will fit on stock suspension.
A 245/75 tire would be really stretched on a 8" wheel, plus the 265/70 is a little bit larger of a tire.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
All of our build sheets say heavy duty shocks, pure BS.

The leveling kit makes some of us happy who really dislike the 'raked' look of the Daks.

If you have 8" wide wheels (most of the Dodge OEM wheels are 8"), you might be better off with 265/70/16, which will fit on stock suspension.
A 245/75 tire would be really stretched on a 8" wheel, plus the 265/70 is a little bit larger of a tire.

I'll have to check the numbers I was looking at again, i might have goofed on it, was going to go order them tomorrow for SAT, i swear the tire i was looking at had a 7.6 inch wide tread, but i know that isn't specifically the tire width itself.

I guess I didn't realize they have much of a rake to them, could be my shocks are worn (90K on the truck) so might look into them

Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, I'm not talking about tread width, I'm talking about width of the rim that you are mounting the tires on.

-A 245/75/16 tire is recommended to be mounted on a rim width of 6.5" to 7.5" wide rim.
-A 245/70/16 tire is recommended to be mounted on a rim width of 6.5" to 8" wide rim.
-A 265/70/16 tire is recommended to be mounted on a rim width of 7" to 9" wide rim.

Not saying it cannot be mounted on an 8" rim, but it's not recommended by the tire experts, or sites.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Ok thanks, I'll talk to them when I get there, I just noticed on tire-rack, it did say that it would fit a 8" rim..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ler+A/T+Revo+2

Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I love my leveling kit. I don't like the raked look. I have the 2" over the strut kit and run 265/70-17 tires.

Quick Reply: School me or point me in the right direction