3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

New steel bumper for my 05 dakota in the works!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool New steel bumper for my 05 dakota in the works!!!!

This is a drawing of my new steel bumper it is in the works,
Color:Satin Black (standard)
Light Bar with two light tabs
D rings,
Light Options, inner set:Recessed 5" 55watt off road lights (fog)
Light options, outer set:Amber Turn Signals

Vehicle:2005 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7L V8

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...imensional.jpg

Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks really good, it's a lot of cutting but if you do it right, you should end up with a job to be proud of. I've often thought of doing something like that, but being a tad lazy, I end up talking myself out of it. What materials are you planning on using for the skin and frame of this bumper?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If I only had the tools and knowledge....

I honestly wish I had the metal fab knowledge to make it myself, but I'm more on the Mechanic side. I did a lot of research and I only found one company who made one for the 3rd gen Dakotas. I asked for a drawing of what I will be purchasing.

http://tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAGStore/TAGStore.aspx

"constructed from 3/16" formed steel with 1/4" mounting brackets. A fully configurable bumper, custom built to order, with many different options." -Tactical Armor Group

Last edited by pyrofossil; 06-23-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Moltenburn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your design works would you mind dropping all of the dimensions? I have friend who is also a licensed welder. And he could also build these for us.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
novovictus1
Professional

Originally Posted by pyrofossil
I did a lot of research and I only found one company who made one for the 3rd gen Dakotas. I asked for a drawing of what I will be purchasing.
"constructed from 3/16" formed steel with 1/4" mounting brackets. A fully configurable bumper, custom built to order, with many different options." -Tactical Armor Group
I think the grill guard is pretty ugly.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Growlor
Professional
Default Looks really nice!

I would love to get something to "deer proof" my 2010 Dak. We go to a drive-in that is out in the rural areas sometimes and I am always worried about some silly critter wandering in front of my Dak on the drive back. Does anyone know if there is any type of impact absorber built into the existing hitch mounts on our Daks? If not, I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate one into one of these (I think once upon a time vehicle bumpers were required ot survive 5mph impacts with no dmg, but that is no longer required?)

Old 06-23-2012, 11:08 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that site's "wincher" looks likes a sweet bumper with the D rings and what not but the grill guard is pretty tacky..

Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 AM
KingsDodges
Professional

I know somewhere in here someone has said before that the tactical armor group bumpers do look nice BUT they are poorly built
(if i remember correctly)

Originally Posted by pyrofossil
I honestly wish I had the metal fab knowledge to make it myself, but I'm more on the Mechanic side. I did a lot of research and I only found one company who made one for the 3rd gen Dakotas. I asked for a drawing of what I will be purchasing.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
durapu
Professional

I bought that Bumper from TAG ... and it didnt even FIT on my truck .. I had to redo the mounts and welds in that bumper to correct the crap job they did .. it took them 8 months to get me my bumper (6 longer than quoted with no reason) the mounts we off center and too low so the bolt holes wouldnt line up If would hit my fender and grill and headlights before I got to the mounting holes and I specifically told them I DID NOT have a body life, the mounting plates were also 2 inches off center. that bumper is also Totally Hollow has a 1/4 inch plate that bolts to the frame then 1 small 3/16 plate welded to that mount and the face of the bumper about 2 inches of weld ... and the plate was mounted to the bottom edge of the bumper with about a 5 inch weld .. all joints were at 90degrees and only on 2 sides of the mounting plate with no cross support or bracing. half the welds on the bumper were Sloppy and they filled the poor welding job with bindo then slapped some primer on it and shipped it to me ... the primer half rubbed off on the cardboard they shipped it in .. for $600 plus the 20hrs and all the extra money I had to put into it to get it Right .. NOT WORTH it .. I would NEVER recommend TAG

Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
durapu
Professional

I wish I had added a grill guard to mine when I was doing all the other work.

Quick Reply: New steel bumper for my 05 dakota in the works!!!!