3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

OEM front tow hooks '11 Dak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 AM
BigHornToad
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM front tow hooks '11 Dak

Mother of God. How on earth do you get the frame bolts out? It was just spinning in place with that weird It's It donut thing on top instead of a nut. Not even a tool hole to insert something in it to hold in place.

Any tips, clues or hints? HALP.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Those bolts are a bitch for a lot of members. Here's the solution, read this thread, specifically post # 16.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To get mine out, I used a BG product called "Inforce". Apparently, it puts PB blaster to shame (if that is even possible). I used a pretty serious impact gun with ~ a billion lb/ft of torque.

But I must say, that clamp idea is brilliant!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

I tried the clamp. Did not work. I had to drill a hole and put a screw in the top "donut" to keep it from spinning. Trashed both bolts/mounts. Dealer only item and they are not cheap ($40 each). Others have just ground the ends off or cut the bolts.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I tried the clamp. Did not work. I had to drill a hole and put a screw in the top "donut" to keep it from spinning. Trashed both bolts/mounts. Dealer only item and they are not cheap ($40 each). Others have just ground the ends off or cut the bolts.
Well geeze, why don't we just suggest cutting the whole front of the truck off? Why don't we tell every one to yank the engine to get to the bushings?! Huh? HUH? HUUUHHH?!?!?!

YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

...sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a couple weeks and you're the first person I've been able to lash out at in a while. Lol. I'm just kidding.....but seriously, I'm going through withdrawals.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I'm here for ya buddy...there, there....let it all out.....

Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

...it all started when I was 5.......DADDY DIDN'T LOVE ME!!!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 PM
BigHornToad
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dakotaff! thanks I will try to find one a those clamps! I was hitting the bolt with an impact and it wasn't budging. But then using a socket and breaker bar I noticed it could rock side to side then heard rubber creaking and said wth? then saw the bushing up top. I was hitting it with aerokroil but that probably made it even easier to spin.

Noticed the new bolt has pre-applied threadlocker so no doubt the old one does too. This ain't gonna' be easy but nothing worthwhile ever is. Please work please work please work.

update: clamp purchased! will try tomorrow. maybe should drop on some jb weld to create a lump / stop for the jaws to catch? blissful happiness until then.

Last edited by BigHornToad; 09-06-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

The bolt you are trying to remove is attached to a body mount as you have found out. The mount has a rubber "puck" underneath. Like I said, keeping that thing from turning is the key to getting the bolt out. On mine, I actually snapped one bolt off and the other I had to resort to drilling the hole in it and putting a screw in the hole to keep the mount from turning. Destroyed both of them. This is what it looks like removed:

Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I am with the others, those bolts are a pita! I cut mine off with a cutoff tool after beating on it with an impact, heating it up, and such.

Quick Reply: OEM front tow hooks '11 Dak