3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

New recall, this time it's the passenger airbag inflator

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts
Default New recall, this time it's the passenger airbag inflator

Yup, another trip to the dealer is in our futures, this time for the passenger airbag inflator.
It's too bad this wasn't all taken care of all at once with the drivers side airbag inflator.

FCA Recall # S43
NHTSA Recall # 16V-352

Recall Date, May 24, 2016

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
THE FRONT PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE WHILE DEPLOYING DURING A CRASH. THE POTENTIAL FOR SUCH RUPTURES MAY OCCUR IN SOME OF THE SUBJECT AIRBAG INFLATORS AFTER SEVERAL YEARS OF EXPOSURE TO PERSISTENT CONDITIONS OF HIGH ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY AND/OR HEAT AGING. IN THE EVENT OF A FRONT PASSENGER AIRBAG INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENT(S) COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL, WHICH MAY RESULT IN ADDITIONAL INJURY OR DEATH TO VEHICLE OCCUPANTS.

CONSEQUENCE:
These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules, and used as original equipment or replacement equipment. These inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling. An inflator rupture may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

REMEDY:
Chrysler will notify the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM owners. Mitsubishi owners will be notified by their company. Dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. Chrysler mailed interim notices to owners on July 7, 2016. Owners will receive a second notice when remedy parts become available. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is S43.

Once again, the parts are not available as of yet. Keep an eye out for the notice coming in the mail.

Check your VIN for a recall HERE.

HERE is the info on FCA models affected, sorted out by zones.

Last edited by dakotaff; 07-17-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got a few phone calls and a mailer over the past month that I blew off when I saw air bag inflator. Didn't think about them recalling the other one.

Thanks for the alert Dakotaff

Old 07-18-2016, 02:11 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaded
I've got a few phone calls and a mailer over the past month that I blew off when I saw air bag inflator. Didn't think about them recalling the other one.

Thanks for the alert Dakotaff
If you need assistance establishing an appointment, let me know. Thanks – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 08-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So I went ahead and called, they want me to bring it in for the drivers inflator even though I had it done last year. Weird, but I'll let em have at it.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:02 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't know if you guys & gals have gotten the follow up letter, but the parts are finally available. Call your dealer and get it done.

Going in on Thursday, asked for a loaner, lets see how that goes.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotaff
Don't know if you guys & gals have gotten the follow up letter, but the parts are finally available. Call your dealer and get it done.

Going in on Thursday, asked for a loaner, lets see how that goes.
Got mine done a few months ago. Dealership offered a loaner, but I didnīt need it. Drop off when they opened that morning, wife picked me up, by the end of the day, it was complete. So, now I have both done.

Quick Reply: New recall, this time it's the passenger airbag inflator