3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Need some insight

Old 07-14-2017, 05:58 PM
flyguy4723
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some insight

So my situation is that I'm trying to decide between an 06 silverado or an 06 dodge dakota. Both 4wd and both having either a crew or ext cab. 06 Silverado is priced at $12,500 and has 113k miles on it, not much rust if any. 06 Dodge dakota for $9900 with 82k miles on it. Can't find much rust either. I'm not worried too much about having a whole bunch of power under the hood as it'll be used as a daily driver and some light towing for boats and trailers. However, at this point I'm very skeptical about the potential rusting that may come along on this dakota(as well as the silverado), I live in WI and the roads get salted a lot. Also, chevy's are tough to beat as I hear most GMT800's will run beyond 250k but i'm not sure the extra $2500 is worth it for a broke college kid. Need help deciding. Any hints to help combat rust? Any dakota owners out there that can give me their experience with these trucks? Common problems? do they rust easy? good trucks? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Fluid Film is a great product to coat the frame and underside with to protect from rust/salty conditions.
If you have rust on the body panels/inside of the bed, you will need to take measures to prevent that rust from spreading.
You said you couldnīt find much rust on either truck, can you tell us more of where the rust you found is and how big of an area it is? Pics would be great too.
Are the trucks local to you, if so and they do not show signs of rust maybe the previous owners took measures for protection already.
Look into fluid film for the frame for sure.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 AM
flyguy4723

Originally Posted by dodgeman1977
Fluid Film is a great product to coat the frame and underside with to protect from rust/salty conditions.
If you have rust on the body panels/inside of the bed, you will need to take measures to prevent that rust from spreading.
You said you couldnīt find much rust on either truck, can you tell us more of where the rust you found is and how big of an area it is? Pics would be great too.
Are the trucks local to you, if so and they do not show signs of rust maybe the previous owners took measures for protection already.
Look into fluid film for the frame for sure.
Ok, how would you recommend I protect the rocker panels and can corners? You think a truck this old is too old to buy?

http://www.idealautosalesinc.com/mob...?VID=268879949

Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 AM
dodgeman1977
Professional

I have a 2005 dakota and its been a good truck.
I live in Louisiana so we dont have a need to salt the roads. I would say a regular washing and wax/sealant during the winter months/salt season would be a good idea. If the vehicle seems to be in good shape mechanically then the age should not be an issue. I have seen many of older vehicles in better shape than new cars, its just in how it was treated. Have a reputable mechanic check it over before purchasing, an outside mechanic not affiliated with the dealership.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 AM
dblei
Smile re need some insight

This is my first post, so thanks for the opportunity.

I have a 2005 Dakota 4wd, its been the best truck I've owned. I live in a hot climate with no hope of snow... or rain for that matter.
with 174k this past weekend I replaced the front hubs (the bearings are sealed for life) or I would have just replaced the bearings. I have the smaller engine but its still enough for what I need. I pull my tent trailer and absolutely load the bed with camping/ hunting/ fishing gear+ my boat.
I've driven chevy and, I cant take anything away from them but Im more comfortable in my Dakota.
As long as I do my part and continue to take care of this truck, I dont see why I wont get another 174k out of it.
I use all Royal Purple oils from front axle to rear and stay with the service schedule as recommended, and so far so good. As for the rust issues, if you do what you should and keep it as clean as you can, I think its now just a matter of personal choice. Good Luck and Thanks!

Search this Thread