3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Do any of you camp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Casper50
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you camp?

I'm a big time outdoors person and I was looking at getting one of these truck tents for the Raider. Do any of you have any experience with them? From what I've read about them everyone loves them. They make one of these specifically for our trucks with the quad cab. I think I'm going to check one out this year and I'll give my feedback on it if anyone is interested.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional
Default RE: Do any of you camp?

I've been camping all of my life and absolutely love everything outdoors. I too was looking into getting one of those bed-tent jobs, I'd love to know how it works out for you. How much is the one you showed?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Casper50
Veteran

The prices for that one range from $160 - $200. They have cheaper ones out there but this one seems really nice compared to the rest. It give almost 6 feet of head room in the center of it and it has a full floor in it instead of just putting a dome on the bed and sleeping in that. This is the Sportz Truck Tent III. Model number 550099 fits the quad cab dak.

I am also going to order a truck-bedz air mattress which is formed to fit into the bed of the quad cab and extend over the open tail gate to give you and extra 2 feet of leg room. The model numbers for those are TMSB and VTMSB depending on how pricey you want to go. I'm going with the cheaper one which is still going to run about $80.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't fit in one of those with my long *** legs and my wife laying next to me. We have a 14X14 tent that's huge and it feels bigger than my house.[:@]

You know you can actually get campers for our trucks, but they suck.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

Hey, now you can say that you're sleeping off the ground[8D]

Blu_

Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I thought about it, but when I go camping It is usually for a few days and use the truck during that time in the woods, and dont feel like seting it up and taking it down every day

Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Casper50
Veteran

Well, I just picked one up for $160 shipped. I'm only 5'10" so I should fit just fine.

As for using the truck while camping, I will also be using mine. These tents set up in 10 minutes and come down faster. I was also thinking that I could just leave it assembled while I'm camping and just take it off the truck that way. Either way it won't be too hard.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

That sounds great. If it works our for you I will definitely purchase the same setup, air mattress too. I just sold my pop-up camper last year, and I miss camping at the little campgrounds scattered about the upper NY State area and New England.

BTW, if anybody is looking for the best campground around, at least in my opinion, check out www.pointsebago.com, a campground in Maine. It's more like the Disney of campgrounds, not really a quick weekend get-away place, but I've been going there since I was born. Anybody else?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Casper50
Veteran

Yep, I'm still looking to find the best deal on the air mattress. Oh, and the Sportz Truck Tent III part number is 55099 and not 550099. If you are getting ready to buy one you should check out a guy on ebay that goes by axilla72. He is awesome to deal with and has some decent prices. When I get it I'll set it up and take some pictures for you and post them up.

I've never even heard of that place. All of my camping is done in the woods of the Rocky Mountains! We also take trips out to Moab, Utah to camp in the desert and do some 4 wheeling when we can. I live in Denver, Colorado so the closestcamping for me is about a 40 minutes away! I'm one of the few people that live here and really enjoy this state.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One huge advantage I see with that tent is you shouldn't ever be flooded out of your tent (happened to me before, set everything up right just had a freak rainstorm that was outright insane). How much length do you get in there though?

As for the campgrounds Point Sebago looks pretty nice. I've never been there but I have friends that live on the sebago lakes, it's a very nice area. If you're looking for a nice family campground that feels a bit more "campy" but still has stuff around I also reccommend checking out Lake Pemaquid campground in Damriscotta, Maine. My family used to go there every memorial day and labor day weekend, great fun.

Quick Reply: Do any of you camp?