3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tonneau or Shell? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tonneau or Shell? Help

I've had friends who have had ARE caps and I was always impressed with the fit & finish, that's all. Never really knew anyone who had a LEER.
But it does look like I am going to go with the LEER; the 'adventure' package they have looks like it has all the stuff I was looking for.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:47 AM
CalTruck

After a lot of thougt, I am going to go with the UnderCover Tonneau. I really love the look of a truck, and after seeing a couple of other Dakota Quad's with shells on them the shells make the truck look too much like an SUV.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

dak_in_black, congrats on choosing leer, you will find that imo it has suprub quality. best of wishes with it, when installed, post some pics and let us know what you think

caltruck, udercover tonneaus really are a good "bang for the buck"....my neighbor has one, he has a deep maroon colored f150 and the black on it looks real good. he also has black nurf bars so that helps tie in the undercover tonneau...i hope you find it useful. you also, need to post pics when installed and tell is your opinion.

congrats guys, cant wait

Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if your going with the leer get the new 800 series i was going that route but a.r.e. came out with there tonneau first.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

its all about what kind of look you want, in my opinion, the 700 series flows better with the truck, it was designed to flow with the hood and the rest of my truck....imo, i like it better, hints why i bought it

Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Good luck, guys. Enjoy your new covers...show us some pics when they get installed!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
CalTruck

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner
caltruck, udercover tonneaus really are a good "bang for the buck"....my neighbor has one, he has a deep maroon colored f150 and the black on it looks real good. he also has black nurf bars so that helps tie in the undercover tonneau...i hope you find it useful. you also, need to post pics when installed and tell is your opinion.
Hey Night Runner, I think the UnderCover will look great on my truck. I have the charcoal greay Sport package so there isn't a lot of chrome on my truck. The black of the UnderCover will tie in nicely with the door handles, tires and other trim. I also like that it is lighter weight, the finish is easy to take care of, and I think the fit and finish are very high quality.

I will admit that I will have to make some sacrafices in what I can and can not put in the bed of the truck (my bass drum). But in the end I think I can live with it. I've been hauling my drum in my Hyundai Elantra GT for three years with no complaints, so this set up will be wonderful in the end.

I will post some pic's once I get everything dialed in. I'm also planning on ditching my bed liner for a Bedrug.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

BEDRUG for the win!!! you will love it, here is a pic of mine

Old 04-16-2007, 04:23 PM
CalTruck

The Bedrug looks great. Did you install it yourself, or did a shop do it for you. It looks to be fairly easy to install. Am I right?

Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

i got install free...id have them do it, they wipe the bed down with some type of concetration...not 100% sure but i want to say it was probally acetone or something simular. first they cleaned the bed, then (this is where i believe they used acetone) used a compound to get all the wax and impurities (most of which cannot bee seen) out of the bed and paint. the double sided velcro they use is very strong and they cannot get replacement pieces. if u can, id have them do it, usually on things like this, install isnt that much $ and is quite often free and/or included in the price quote they give. the whole process of cleaning the bed then putting the mat in took longer than i expected and im sure while it isnt that hard, would be a little harder than anticipated. id just have them do it if i were u, that way if its messed up down the road, take it back to them.

Quick Reply: Tonneau or Shell? Help