3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front end bounce

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
CalTruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end bounce

I'm a new owner of an '06 Dakota Quad Cab Sport Edition. I have to admit that I am disappointed with the suspension in the front end. Whenever I go over any rise and fall in the freeway, and there are a lot of those type things on the Calif. freeways, my front end bouces like a '72 Chevy Impala. It is almost like being on a roller coaster or one of those big drop rides at the fair.

So, is this how these trucks ride? Is it a result of the Sport suspension? The truck only has 17,500 mi.s, does it need new shocks?

Also, can anyone tell me how the "Sport" version of the Dakota is different from the regular SLT version? Is it merely cosmetic???

Old 04-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front end bounce

Ha.... sport suspension.

I have the sport package, and it's nothing different than the SLT, other than the body color moldings, and no chrome.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:30 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

The Sport version has nifty Sport decals on the back and a grille painted to match the color of the truck. The suspension on our trucks is really cruddy, and unfortunately, there isn't a replacement available for them until July I believe. Monroe is coming out with front struts then, and I guess Bilstein is set to come out with them later this year. Until then we have to deal with the fact that our front suspension isn't well made. When I first got the truck my suspension was ok, but over the course of about 20,000 miles it sure went downward. I think Monroe is going to make a killing off of every 3rd gen dakota owner on this forum when they release their shocks :P

Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

The TRX4 I have has what they call heavier duty shocks on it. For some reason DCX designers think three bounces is a good number for damping. NOT! I'll take 1 1/2 bounces of controlled bounce and call that a good dampening ratio, but three is OTT. There are no struts on our trucks but the front shocks are just mounted above the springs instead through the springs. I will be changing mine as soon as the reviews come out on 3rd. party shocks.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:23 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yep, my truck had the death bounce from day one. even road and track said it was terrible when they first test drove these trucks. but noone has come out with anything yet. apparently dodge built these trucks for the older generation 50 and above thinking they would be ok. but since they took off at sales they fell behind in upgrades. thats why the 08 will have the better of everything

Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Nothing said on the 08s having any changes at all with the suspensions as well as shock changes. I had read that the Dak wastargeted for the 18 to 35 yo market mostly based on pricing. A nicly loadedGen III Dak could always be had from 18k through 25k where Rams and such where 22k and up. My buy was always based on the size and manageability of the truck not so the price. The Dak has a V8 with a cast iron block sitting on the front suspension and the truck is a bit heaver than most mid size trucks. The shocks should had far more controlled damping for that design.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, get a trailmaster leveling kit. Not only will it lift the truck level in the front 2" higher, but it pretty much eliminates that by stiffening the front end just enough.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:36 AM
LB
Veteran

Not mine, when I installed the 2" mine bounced like a SOB until I repalaced them with TRX4 shocks, which actually crossed referenced to original lamarie shocks.The 07's have a different # and are about twice the cost. I have 17K on my 05.

All I want is some decent shocks!!! At this point I dont care what they cost. I love the truck, don't like the suspension!

LB

Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 AM
CalTruck

I was at a tire shop today and asked about aftermarket shocks for the Dakota's. They told me about a shock, the KYB #KG5458. Has anyone checked into these shocks? The shop I was at didn't have any information on the upcoming Monroe's or Bilstien shocks. Perhaps these KYB shocks might be an improvement????

Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
LB
Veteran

You almost had me excited there WAS an Aftermarket shock and disappointed it's a KYB,those are for 04 Durango, personally I have never liked the ride of KYB's.

LB

Quick Reply: Front end bounce