3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:52 PM
importandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch

I bought a hitch for my truck from Putnam and I can make these at work and I can do it for a lot less than these guys charge. I work in a steel fabrication shop and we weld all day long. Just wondering what the market would be for a product like this.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 AM
importandy
Default RE: Hitch

Does Putnam cover the trailer if the hitch comes apart???
"Putnam Hitch Products shall not be liable for the loss of use of vehicles, loss of time, inconvenience, cost or removal and/or installation, or any other incidental or consequential damages." (http://www.putnamhitch.com/service_warranty.html). Why in the world would I cover them?? That is setting yourself up for major liability. You can go on ebay and get them as cheap as like 130 or so. I guess I could probably do them for around 75 plus shipping. That is a fair price. If you want you can have the welds inspected and if they are not up to par I will refund the money minus shipping and you can send it back. I do not know what else I can do.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:05 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

one came on mine, but i would rather pay more for one and if it fails under its raited weight, contact and get damages paid for than pay less and if it fails, be screwed

Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
bkjtimp
Veteran

"Putnam Hitch Products shall not be liable for the loss of use of vehicles, loss of time, inconvenience, cost or removal and/or installation, or any other incidental or consequential damages."
Loss of use, time, etc are NOT losses to the trailer itself. All they are stating above is they won't pay you for the $1000 you could have made while your trailer was broken because of their hitch. It says of nothing about whether they'd cover your trailer. I bet they would have to.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:12 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Just a question...are you actually making your own hitch, or modifying the Putnam one? I'm confused by what you're actually doing.

I have the factory hitch, too...the only reason I went that route was to get pre-wired for 7-pin electric right away.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

Im pretty sure they would have too also

Quick Reply: Hitch