3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Very Predicable

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:04 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Very Predicable

I think chrysler is trying to hard.. I mean they have the dodge which appeals to all of us.. usually because of styling and power... however like jimbo said there are alot of people who want small cars and dodge doesn't make that many small cars because all the platforms they use for dodge Cars are used for chrysler cars and chrysler builds bigger "classier" cars so they won't go smaller and because they won't go smaller and chrysler is trying to cut costs by using the same platforms across as many cars as possible Dodge won't go smaller... but your right they had a shot with the Caliber it was a gamble...it was bigger, but it had more versatility and I know a hell of alot about it because I was looking into it for soo long... they built it to appeal to younger drivers... giving all those Nifty features like chilzone storage, illuminated cupholders, detachable/recharable dome light flash light, color keyed interrior...etc... and frankly they lost the gamble.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:16 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Actually, they didn't lose the gamble with the Caliber. Those things are selling like crazy. Sure, it's underpowered and not very fuel efficient, but it still gets more mpgs than a lot of other cars on the road, so people are buying them up left and right for that, plus on account of the versatility and usefulness. Plus, it's kind of a unique vehicle...right between a small car and a CUV...and there aren't too many out there that are similar.

Dodge is looking into making a smaller car...Chevy Aveo size, or similar to the old Neons...and partnering with, of all companies, a Chinese manufacturer to do it. Either way, it's going to be several years 'til it hits the road. Hopefully they don't miss the boat on that one....

Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

Very True

Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

The problem with the big three is they don't build vehicles that people really want. They build them as cheap as possible and sell them at outragous prices. I could get a fully loaded Nissan frontier Crew cab (I have a club cab)for $2500 less than I paid for my Dakota and thats before haggling on the price. If dodge wants to sell more Dakotas they need to offer 4 wheel anti-lock brakes as a standard feature like all the other automakers do. They need to build engines that can compete with the other companys. The 3.7L V6 is a dog compared to say Nissan who has a 4.0L V6 at 260 horsepower. When I was shopping for a smaller truck back in 2005, I chose the dakota because of its size, V8 power, and its bold styling. I didn't like Toyota because I couldn't sit comfortably in the tacoma. The steering wheel was wedged against my leg even with it tilted all the way up. I ignored Nissan because I thought all imports were basically the same. I looked at a 2007 Nissan Frontier at the Philly auto show back in feburary and boy I was very impressed. I am still half tempted to trade in my Dakota but right now its not possible money wise plus I have so much invested in my dakota as far as goodies I installed. I am really hope that dodge does it right for the 2010 redo. If they put a diesel in it and make 4wheel abs standard and do a few other things I would trade in my 05 for the 2010 model.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pro4x4

If dodge wants to sell more Dakotas they need to offer 4 wheel anti-lock brakes as a standard feature like all the other automakers do.
I'll second that, nearly missed my street the other day, slammed on the brakes and turned in like I'm used to doin with any of my past vehicles (1995 silverado - 4 wheel abs,1994 integra - 4 wheel abs, 1998 trooper - 4 wheel abs, 2005 dakota - rear wheel abs Dodge what were you thinking!?). Needless to say the front wheels locked up, truck didn't turn and that whole procedure didn't go too well. Luckily there was no traffic (or I wouldn't have tried to make the turn that late) and I pulled it through but that definitely got the adrenaline going.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:17 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Wonder if the 2008 update to the Dakota will have 4 wheel ABS standard?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:35 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

No at this time, no brake changes for the 08. As for 2010, hopefully it will be on the Durango platform. My next truck will be 2010. I tend to keep a vehicle into 150 to 170k area or for me 4 to 5 years tops.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a tough world for pickup trucks...Unfortunately the innovation that most of us experience is basically making our pickups in a sense more like big cars.

Dodge made great changes and great products in the past 10 years, but it seems like it was still swallowed whole.

Quick Reply: Very Predicable