3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Computer Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Help

before u read this, know i am typing from the computer lab, not my laptop

I know a lot of u are good with computers. Id like to say I am good with one, but i am by no means a computer engineer. I have up to date anti-virus and spyware protection. i turned on my comp today and my keyboard wasnt working....i ran a diognistics test (the one that is under system tools) and found out that my cd/dvd drive and floppy drive were not working either, they failed the test. i tried to put a floppy in, sure enough, the computer didnt read it automatically, so i opened my computer and saw nowhere to click-start my floppy drive...did the same with a dvd....it is as if those drives have been erased from my computer! WTF?! i have not used my floppy in forever, but i used my dvd/cd drive and obviousely keyboard right before i went to sleep.

if it helps, i have an almost 1 yr old toshiba satellite. off the top of my head, i dont remember what version.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM
mb18
Record Breaker
Default RE: Computer Help

If you've rebooted a bunch of times, and still no improvement, I'd think it's one of two problems. There's an outside chance it's a virus or spyware deal that slipped by your antivirus. Depending on what you use, some are more reliable than others and may miss some threats. It also could be a motherboard problem, but seems a bit random for that...but who knows.

If it's a year old, is it still under warranty?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

its just under a year old, about 10-11 months, and i bought all the extended warrenties i could, and for a $2300 laptop, i wouldnt expect my motherboard to go bad, but who knows. i actually ran my antivirus and spyware right before i went to bed, that was the last thing i did last night. antivirus found a small trojan that infected 1 file and i viewed the info and it said this trojan was a "low" risk. i just got off the phone with best buy and looks like im gunna take it in later after my calc class. this comes at a very bad time because i have 3 finals on monday (2 tests=nutrition+calc, 1 essay=history=1/4 overall grade), and my english final tuesday which composes of a test and essay which comes out to 1/5 overall grade.

i just got off the phone with best buy and im going to take it in after calc today (isnt this supposed to be dead week? talk about b.s. i have every class this week) they said sounds like motherboard, which i guess runs all my crap...they said it could take 2 weeks just to get the part in. this could not have come at a worse time...any other inputs?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

oh, also, i rebooted to a previous date (yesterday morning when nothing was wrong) and same problems are still occuring

Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I had a satalite and the motherboard went out on it right at a year, bust buy wanted to charge me 700 for a new board so I just went out and baught a new computer

Old 04-25-2007, 02:35 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Yeah, if the reboot didn't do anything, it sounds more and more like it's motherboard related to me. That stinks, too, b/c there's not much you can easily do to a laptop...the parts are sooo small and soooo hard to work on.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

well, i know for a fact its been less than a year, and i bought all the extended crap i could...overall i paid about 2300, so they better fin get crap straightened out

i love my comp, but next comp i buy, im custom ordering

Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 PM
babygotdak
Professional

this happened to my IBM and i reimaged and all was better.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:43 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

From my standpoint I'm going to go with a motherboard problem. I' not in front of it right now, but from experience if those 2 devices aren't being read at the same time, then it is most likely a hardware issue. They're on separate controllers so if both go out AT THE EXACT SAME TIME, then I would recommend getting ahold of Toshiba and seeing about fixing it under the warranty.

BTW, are you able to boot to Windows at all? Or does it just stop during the boot process with these errors? Also, when you get a chance, let us know what model Satellite you have.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Jimbo, definitely sounds like motherboard to me. Make sure Best Buy is performing the work under warranty before you give it to them, wouldn't want a nasty surprise in the form of a bill when you picked it up.

Quick Reply: Computer Help