3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Flame_Red_4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spare tire

ORIGINAL: Altair

ORIGINAL: Frenchy

I just got rid of my spare tire in general...

It's not the same size as my 20" tires and wheels, nor my 265/70/16...

That's what roadside assisstance is for my friends...
May not be the same size but it'll get you home. Besides who wants to wait for the roadside assistance people to get there?
Will that hurt the truck if it's a different size? My stock spare is about and inch shorther than my tires on my 20" wheels.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

i dont think it will hurt the truck, but while u drive on it, i would assume the rest of your tires may ware differently while driving with the spare on

Old 05-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Flame_Red_4x4

Ok well i wasn't sure. I've heard that it will pretty much destroy a 4x4 ATV's transmission, but wasn't sure if it would on trucks. I didn't think it would since they sell some vehicles with smaller spares.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that's because most 4x4 ATV's use a similar system to AWD cars, on an AWD you can't put different size tires on, hell you can't even put differently worn tires on. Pop one you gotta replace them all, doesn't apply to trucks though. If you think about it many cars come with that tiny "donut" spare so I don't think it'll make a big difference, just drive easy on it. If you're worried don't use 4wd with the spare on.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Casper50
Veteran

Also, if you have an lsd in the rear and you put a smaller size on one sideit is going to see it as slipping on that sidebecause that axle will be spinning faster than the other. It will try to correct this and make some really funky noises. If you run a different size tire on either axle with a 4x4 and engage 4wd you could damage your transfer case. This is because you are basically changing the gear ratio on the front or rear and if both aren't spinning at the same speed then the gears don't mesh right in the T-case.

As far as clearance for the spare. I would give it a minimum of an inch just to make sure the exhaust doesn't rub on it when you are going over bumps. They will probably have to cut your exhaust out at the bends by the spare tire location and add some more pipe in with the proper bends. They should be able to reuse the tips though.

Quick Reply: Spare tire