3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 AM
niftyguy239
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint

Has anyone had any problems with the paint or the lack there of?

Bought my dakota in Feb from a pre-owned dealer, been detailing it once a month and when I inspected the paint 3 days ago I noticed a roughness only around the upper panel of the driver's door and rear driver's side panel.

Roughness as in like sandpaper. I immeditately thought of overspray. The dealer re-paints the front and rear bumper when they are serviced. I clay-bar it and wash wax and buffed it with shwo gloss. Still rough as sand paper.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:04 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Default RE: Paint

I have some defects in my paint on both my Daks. Gray I had dimples and pimple like blobs on the lower door panelthat other talked about. Gray II has some dimples and some rough edges in the lower panels. The QC is typical crap. Hay what do you expect for 30k?

Old 05-16-2007, 05:45 PM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is that a joke? I expect a great paint job for 30K. If it had a 3/4 ton drivetrain and 300 hp I'd settle for no paint, but since it doesn't...

Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck doesn't have the aforementioned issues, but I do have random little spots where there were like scratches and chips out of the paint...

Old 05-17-2007, 04:49 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

I ran some wires under the step plate and once Iremoved the plastic crap I came upon the bottom rubber seal and noticed it felt like it was sweating. I lifted the seal off the weld lipsince it is not glued or anything just pushed on over the body weld lip seam. The seam was damp and rusting. This happen on my 77 Celica, liftback and I never caught it until it was too late. The lip seam was rusted out under the rubber seal. This will happen here too. Check this on your trucks. It only will take you a few minutes. I am going to show this to thedealer. In two years, there will be some serious rust on the rail lip under the seal.

Quick Reply: Paint