3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Enabling Dayime running lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Antjmar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enabling Dayime running lights (DRL)

Hi, everyone just bought a NEW 2006 quad cab SLT 4.7 L TRX4 Dakota for a great deal. Itsawesome so far! I searched here butI couldnt find an answer. Is there an easy way to activate the DRL,s? I meanlike, pull a fuse or something like that? I know fleet trucks have them and so do the Dakotas sold in Canada. I 'd like to turn them on my truck. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
graythang
Record Breaker
Default RE: Enabling Dayime running lights (DRL)

Nothing is that easy on new vehicles anymore. Our trucks are completely in the hands of the CAN or (controller area network). It consists of three computers like modules that run EVEYTHING! I looked into the DRL enable and the dealer said it is done through the CAN with an extra module installed also. Fleet vehicles by DCX in the US all came with DRL enabled. All Canadian vehicles also have it enabled. Talk to your dealer for more info.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Antjmar
Rookie

Graythang II,
Thanks for the info. When you spoke to dealer did he tell you a ballpark figure what this extra module costs? Also, can I just buy it and plug in or do I have to pay dealer to "activate"? Thanks.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odds are the dealer will have to activate it. They're the only ones that can change anything in the CAN system which makes modifying certain things a royal pain for us. I've even heard that if your truck didn't come with foglights and you install the mopar ones the dealer has to activate them before they'll work.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:30 PM
DakotaStone
Champion

It's an easy deal. There is a sensor on the dash that sticks up. It's black and it is almost triangular. You can put a small piece of electrical tape over it and that will trip the lights to run all of the time. I discovered this when I had put my hat on it one day and it tripped it.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
06dak
Rookie

Dakotastone, I think that will only work with a Laramie and auto headlights. For us Dakota owners will lesser models, it will be pretty complicated... and expensive. If I had to guess it'd probably be over $100 to get everything working.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
DakotaStone
Champion

Doesn't the TRX4's have automatic lights? I thought the higher grade SLT's had them too.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

ORIGINAL: ericemery

my truck has the light sensor on the dash... but I dont really want DRLs... I just switch my parking lights and fogs on.
I do the parking lights/fogs thing when it's raining, never during the day if it's clear though. I was actually happy that they didn't come with DRL's.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Antjmar
Rookie

The 2006 TRX4 package doesnt include Auto-lights just off road stuff... limited slip, bigger tires, shocks etc. I dont think I have a sensor on the dash but I'll check tonight. I like the DRL's in the winter when its always gray out. In the summer I dont think they arent much help. Thats why I was hoping it was an easy mod.

Quick Reply: Enabling Dayime running lights (DRL)