3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Problems......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:49 PM
niftyguy239
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems......

Why did Dodge make the intake manifolds black plastic? When I was installing my new CAI and I felt like I was going to break the damn thing. Is there any place that sells the aluminum aftermarket manifold for the 06 4.7? Also valve covers would be helpful too.

Is there known problems with the 6 spd auto tranny? When I hit the gas pedalto accelerate and passpeople on the roadnot only does it hesitate, but it also slams into gear when I downshift, as inyou feel that second of no G forces to getting pushed into the rear passenger seat. I've got a 2000 5.9L V8 6 spd autoDurango with 70kon it and to this day 8 years old, it shifts perfectly, not once has it slamed into gear. My 2006 Dakota's got 27k on it right now.

Also, I'm still slightly new to the Mod scene, whats an 180 T-stat and is it worth for me to get?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problems......

there is no 6spd auto transmission...

4 or 5 spd... 6spd manual...

nor is there a 6spd auto on the 5.9L... the 6spd auto, IIRC... is something Dodge is finally offering on some 07 vehicles...

Other than that.. no 6spd auto..

Sorry.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

The plastic manifolds are common on a many vehicles. Even Toyotas 4.7 V8 uses them. I'm not happy about it but it is said that it keeps the fuel cooler and you want that. Mopars always ran better in cooler weather hence the 180º stat. The engine is cooler and runs better when coupled with a CAI. After market manifolds I have never seen a direct replacement but that’s not saying that there may be a 3rd. party performance type Alum. one out there. Valve covers I have seen alum. Mopar ones for 4.7s. I also believe there are stamped steel chrome ones. Yes the ((5)) speed auto is computer controlled and the shift points are insane. They change by the way you drive but that a load of crap. Auto trans shifted just fine for many years without a computer interfering. There are shift kits out there for our trans and I saw a post somewhere with a link to a vendor. Trucks the Dak included just aren’t what they use to be as far as what we are use to. Things changed with Daimler and in some good and many not so good ways. Hopefully the (Chrysler Group) as its called now will get design and engineering back on track but don't hold your breath. If I buy a new Dak some day it will be 2010 when it’s been said it will be a total redesign Gen IV. It will Prob run on hay or something.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: graythang

If I buy a new Dak some day it will be 2010 when it’s been said it will be a total redesign Gen IV. It will Prob run on hay or something.
LOL yeah and have like 100 hp or something like that too

As to the 180 T-stat it is a 180 degree thermostat for the enigne.. it's really only worth it once you have some aftermarket upgrades to the engine like a CAIand a new exhaust.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 AM
niftyguy239
Professional

I'm sorry for the mix-up Frenchy. I've got the 5 spd auto in both the vehicles. I'm a little tired. I just got done pulling a 48 hrs shift at work (I'm a medic). Anyway, Yeah its pretty said that most manufactures are resorting to plastic for your engine nowadays. Got love that last forever "quality" with the heat and wear and tear will put that plastic through, enough that later on it'll be so brittle it'll fall aprat and crack into a million pieces. Anyway thanx for the info guys, I'll look into installing one later in the future, but am focusing my timeand moneyon a flowmaster exhaust that exits oneither side of thebed in front of the rear tire, like someone else that is trying to do the same thing with the corsa tips. I'll probably flattin the tips like I see a lot on the Ford's.