3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Draining Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draining Torque Converter

I see the two lines running into the bottom of the radiator, but which oneis the output line from the torque convertor?
I have switched everything else to amsoil, all I need to do is change out the tranny.

thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM
rick4dak
Veteran
Default RE: Draining Torque Converter

Those are trans. cooling lines. One goes to the radiator and one goes back to the trans. The best way to change the trans. fluid is to go somewhere that has an exchange machine. With your enging running, they pump new fluid in and the old fluid out. There is a place on the front which allows you to see the color change indicating that it's completely changed. I suppose you could fabricate something to do that at home. Maybe your Amsoil guy knows of someone who can change your fluid for you.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Hmm, I'd rather not go to one of those places. They completely FUBAR'd a Caravan I had several years ago and it cost me a bit o'cash to fix the tranny.

I already ID'd the lines, but I'd rather not get tranny fluid all over the place trying to figure out which line is the output line from the torque converter.
The manual is not much help as it does not ID which line is which (at least not where I have looked).

Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 AM
LB
Veteran

One of these forums has an amsoil guy that wrote up how to do it yourself using 2 buckets, one for the old fluid and one for the new. He just hoseclamped rubber hose to both lines at the radiator and stuck them in the buckets. He id'e the suction line but I don't remember which one it was, and he also said how many quarts to have in the new fluid bucket. Sounds pretty simple to me, and a lot less than a shop!

What weight did you use in the Dif's? thier new 90-110 or 90-140?

is your rear LSD? did you use thier additive for LSD?

LB

Old 06-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Yeah, I guess I will disconnect both lines and figure out which one is the output line.

Everything has been replaced with amsoil;
[ul][*]Oil 0W-30[*]Front Diff 75W-90[*]Rear Diff 75W-140 (didn't notice the 110 when I ordered, but anything was better than the mud that was in there)[*]Transfer Case ATF[*]Tranny ATF[/ul]

The front diff was a PITA. There is what appears to be a breather hose of some sort that needs to be removed. There are 4 bolts across the top that are a PITA to reach. Getting the old RTV to let go was a PITA, then actually getting the cover off was a PITA (pull away and rotate clockwise and pull sideways towards passenger side).

Once I have the tranny fluid replaced I will track the gas mileage to see if there is an improvement. But seat of the pants feeling is that it seems to 'roll' smoother?

No LSD in the rear, looking to add a locker or a LSD in the future (way out there future). Right now I am looking at getting a Magnaflow muffler (#12158) and a y-pipe and head down to a local place and have them fab up the pipes.

I did the wife's Accord at the same time and I replaced the manual transmission fluid with the synchromesh fluid. I did not tell my wife and the next day she had asked if I had done anything to the car because the shifting had become much smoother and easier.

Quick Reply: Draining Torque Converter