3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

I need load leveler equipment for my camper.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
skikir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need load leveler equipment for my camper.

I got a new to me soft side pop up camper for my Dakota 4X4 with heavy duty suspension and took it out this weekend. I think it is in the neighborhood of 1200 lbs. It hauled prety good when I brought it home on the freeway empty and the one time I took it out by my self. This weekend I took my wife and met up with some friends for camping. After she loaded up all the stuff ( raft, luggage, fire wood, food, beer,cooking equip (cast iron fry pan!) beer,food...) I was a little tail heay. I was bottoming out on some real dips on the mountain and gravel roads. I took a road to a view point that turned into a Jeep (more like Land Rover) trail and all I kept thinking of was "plastic gas tank...plastic gas tank...." This was not something I wasafter on a maiden voyage. I was at about 5,500 feet and on one side of the track there was a mountain and on the other side there was nothing! I wasn't sure if the ruts were water washouts or from the road begining to slide off mountain. I wish I had taken a picture of the road but my knuckles were too white. Anyway I put it in four low and crept up to the top to keep it from bounceing too much.
So, I need some kind of load leveling system like air shocks, or airbags or something that can be used only when I need it. I don't want a monster truck lift kit. I just want something to increase my load carrying capabilities and not be there when I'm empty. Also do they make heavier duty anti sway bars for the rear? That would really help to keep the thing from wallowing in the ruts.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: I need load leveler equipment for my camper.

you need to goto a professional trailer guru. someone who sells and installs carry tops. they will have what you are looking for. also people that sell 5th wheels will know what you are looking for.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 PM
LB
Veteran

You gotta lose everything except the beer!!!

LB

Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

The tail-heavy thing is a problem with these trucks, especially with a decent sized load or trailer on the back. I get that on mine all the time. I'm not sure what to do either, but it's really working on my nerves. I helped a friend of mine move yesterday (using my truck, and the 16 foot cargo trailer) and it was sagging really bad, even with the equalizer bars on the trailer hookup.

If you learn of anything, let me know.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM
skikir

I think I found what I need. Hopefully the price is wrong in the web page because the kit price is the same as just the springs.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/p...&catalog=p

Here is a better discription/immage.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...scon/2379.html

Now for the swaybars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/66265/6B91527548A14106845AE96902F3D0C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, you better just get rid of the whole leaf spring setup. I think summitracing.com had a airbag replacement system for our daks at a fair price.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:50 PM
rick4dak
Veteran

Those Firestone air bags are a nice solution but add their price to the price of an on-truck air compressor, tankand controls and you're talking about a lot of $$$.
There is a type of overload coil springthat goes on top of the leafs (horizontally) that only works when needed. If you're interested, I'll try to find them and add a link.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
pojv

I have a 2005 Dakota and had the rear sag when I hitched up my trailer, went and had firestone airbags installed ( without the compressor) and they work great, just air them up when towing and let the air out ( leave 12lbs) when not towing or hauling my quad. You will not lose the ride quality with the airbags.

Phil

Old 07-04-2007, 02:26 AM
RealityCheck
Rookie

I'm going to have to give the Firestone air bags a try also. I have been pretty disappointed in my '06 4X4's handling with a load in the bed.

Even with a relatively light load (two dirt bikes, tools, and riding gear) the rear sags alarmingly and the handling becomes spooky.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
my06dak

my '06 dak ST, I had the rear springs beefed up at a suspension shop. Only reliable way & proper way to repair sagging leaf springs.

Quick Reply: I need load leveler equipment for my camper.