3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Thanks Dodge! Asshats

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 PM
AdidasCJ
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Dodge! Asshats

So some of you know i have a ball joint going out and have been looking for an aftermarket company that makes them. And after a long search and many e-mails later... NOTHING... SO looks like i will have to go with stockers... Here is the kicker. I went to dodge today to see prices on them, to compair. He then informs me that i will have to replace the whole upper control arm to replace the prepressed ball joint. and that the upper is not one that can be pressed out!!!! :VHOT: He said the lower can be but not the top! He then tells me that the arm run 200 bucks! WTF! So i have to sale my left nut to replace a part on any other truck that cost 50-60 bucks!

So im going to pull my leveling kit this weekend and take the truck back to them and let them fix the little ****er! i was all more then willing to pay for some preformance ones BUT NOOOOOOOOO ARG!!!!!

/end venting

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Thanks Dodge! Asshats

i had mine replaced at the dealer. boh sides. the problem is they break free from the rivets and work thier way into the arm causing it to waer funny. kinda like oblong. i also looked into the moog greaseable ones but they dont make them as of yet

Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 PM
AdidasCJ
Veteran

ORIGINAL: superdak05

i had mine replaced at the dealer. boh sides. the problem is they break free from the rivets and work thier way into the arm causing it to waer funny. kinda like oblong. i also looked into the moog greaseable ones but they dont make them as of yet

Yea i sent them a cupple e-mails asking them. i even sent it to energy suspension and nothing

Old 07-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

do u think it was the leveling kit that did it?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
AdidasCJ
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Cuban11182

do u think it was the leveling kit that did it?
no i know what did it. I was out off roading, going a little to fast and hit a dip out kinda nasty, and from that night on its been popping. So it was my own dumb fault.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with that. I haven't heard of anyone having this issue yet with the new gens. My 99 Sport had that issue, but they replace the ball joints since it was a recall issue.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

Summitracing.come has upper ball joints for our trucks I just saw them recently. They were like 60 bucks I think.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I saw lower on there but not upper

Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 PM
pro4x4
Veteran

I don't know if you have a copy but you can get it free from here is the service manual. and it shows you how to remove the ball joints and they are removable with a ball joint press. Dealerships make there money on repairs plus it is a hassle to get them to do warranty work. At least this is what I have discovered.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:03 AM
AdidasCJ
Veteran

ORIGINAL: pro4x4

Summitracing.come has upper ball joints for our trucks I just saw them recently. They were like 60 bucks I think.

I e-amiled them and asked them that question if it was a mis print or something was wrong, because when i spoke too moog directly, they dont make them yet. the email i got back from summit was that it was a typo.

Quick Reply: Thanks Dodge! Asshats